Do you think it is proper to hug someone when meeting them for the first time.

My hubby hugs females when meeting them for the first time. Usually it rubs them the wrong way. Anyone know anyone that does this?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:29 AM on Sep. 9, 2009 in Relationships

• Men aren't suppose to hug women other than family (I guess) My ex does that to women and I always noted that they didn't like it. Touching bodies is too intimate for women on a first encounter - we tend to insist on being in control of our "personal space" - and to have a man invade it [our personal space] without proper invitation is like having someone ask us to lift our skirt the first time we meet. LOL We're just proper little girls - at the heart of us. We're also selfish; if I don't invite you or wave you in to my inner circle then you certainly have no right inviting yourself in. We tend (as a gender) to have the air of superiority over our own bodies and relationships - that's our natural law of boundaries - if you will. Men see us do it with other women and think it's okay with all women - they don't get the nuances (or have the instinct) of how we choose to hug or not to hug when meeting someone.
    PaceMyself

Answer by PaceMyself at 9:38 AM on Sep. 9, 2009

• If they dont like it then its inappropriate. Does he hug men the same? If not then "I" would have a serious problem with him.

sugahmamma

Answer by sugahmamma at 9:33 AM on Sep. 9, 2009

• No. That's a little too much! LOL! I would be like "do I look like I need a hug"? No, JK! I only hug family, friends or someone I haven't met officially but they are a family or friends spouse.
    mamaada

Answer by mamaada at 9:33 AM on Sep. 9, 2009

• I hug people all the time, but I can see how a man doing it might be unsettling to a female. Have you tried to talk to him about how it might come across? I think it depends entirely on the situation as far as whether it's proper or not. At a family reunion when he's meeting your family? Yes. At a PTO meeting when he's being introduced to your child's teacher? Probably not.

Answer by missanc at 9:34 AM on Sep. 9, 2009

• i dont know about innapropriate exactly. I mean I would not really be comfortable with someone hugging me the first time I met them, and I wouldnt be happy with my husband hugging a female the first time they met. But we arent really the huggy types. I mean we hug eachother, but not other people
    cassie_kellison

Answer by cassie_kellison at 9:36 AM on Sep. 9, 2009

• It is inappropriate i think. 

Answer by louise2 at 9:37 AM on Sep. 9, 2009

• weird. hes probably trying to grope up on there boosms
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:38 AM on Sep. 9, 2009

• I do it sometimes. It depends on the person. For instance, when my fiance went out to Washington State, I met SO MANY people that he has told me about for the longest time. Upon meeting them, i was so excited & hugged them. Even though i never met them before. But, I'm an affectionate person also.

But, it i have no relation to that person, then i usually do not hug them. If they are a close friend of a friend, i might.

When someone else hugs me that i just met (unless they're creepy looking), I personally love it. But, again, I am an affectionate person.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 9:39 AM on Sep. 9, 2009

• Some ppl are just huggers. I'm not. You might want to talk to him about invading the space of others without permission. He can read body language to see if someone wants hugged. His mom should have taught him that but since she didn't then maybe you can discuss it with him

Answer by admckenzie at 9:41 AM on Sep. 9, 2009

• I enjoy giving others hugs, but would not if I just met them.
    3rdDay

Answer by 3rdDay at 9:44 AM on Sep. 9, 2009