Postpardum depression meds...

I am going for my 6 wks in a few days and I am 110% that I have ppd, I dont have any insurance and dont qualify for medicaid so what would happen if they want to give me meds, or what if they dont give me meds? I really think I need something because the thoughts in my head are not good at all.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:37 AM on Sep. 9, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Do the best you can do to afford the meds that they will offer. I too had extreme ppd. It can be quite serious if not taken care of. It would be best for you and baby if your were on the meds and able to function better in daily lives. Make sure you are HONEST with the doctors, maybe they can give you sample meds or something.
    mkrmomma1

Answer by mkrmomma1 at 9:47 AM on Sep. 9, 2009

• I'm not sure how they will be covered - your doctor will know, and also may refer you to a counselor as well. Message me if you like, just remember that you are your baby's favorite person and hero! I suffered from ppd as well; I'll keep you in my prayers.
    mevxoxo

Answer by mevxoxo at 10:35 AM on Sep. 9, 2009

• If you can't afford the meds be sure to let you DR. , know they can help you out. Good luck Momma and congrat on your new baby :)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:12 AM on Sep. 9, 2009

• Most SSRI's and SNRI's (antidepressants usually prescribed for PPD) have generic versions that are extremely cheap.

For example, generic zoloft is sertraline and it is one of the 5$/month drugs at Walmart.

Tell your doctor that you don't have insurance and they'll be SURE to prescribe you a medication that is cheap at the pharmacy!

And, sorry you are going through this. Til your appointment try to eat, get dressed, brush your hair, take your vitamins, shower, go out in the sunshine for short times/fresh air with baby, and know that this too shall pass.
    JamesAndMe

Answer by JamesAndMe at 2:10 PM on Sep. 9, 2009

• Sorry , it's 4$ not 5$ and sertraline isn't one of them! lol

Citalopram (Celexa), Fluoxetine (Prozac), and Paroxetine (Paxil) are on the 4$ program.

JamesAndMe

Answer by JamesAndMe at 2:16 PM on Sep. 9, 2009