Christians and alcohol...

I am wondering if there are denominations that forbid drinking alcohol?

Now there is always a running joke in our family we start drinking at 2nd grade so anyone who married into the family won't out drink us. Our family get together all have alcohol. We don't get stinking drunk but a beer before dinner and during dinner is common.

Kattykitten

Asked by Kattykitten at 9:56 AM on Sep. 9, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• I know that the Free Will Baptist used too. I have been away from that church for many years so it may have changed.
    teamquinn

Answer by teamquinn at 10:09 AM on Sep. 9, 2009

• well I tried to change the name of the question but it won't let me. I was reading the other question and that must have stuck in my head. so now we have two questions with the same words but different questions. Sorry about that...

Kattykitten

Answer by Kattykitten at 10:12 AM on Sep. 9, 2009

• Mormons do not drink alcohol
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 10:27 AM on Sep. 9, 2009

• I nazarene, and they don't believe in drinking alcohol. me personally? i don't think your going to hell if you have a drink here and there, but getting drunk is against the bible.
    amy31308

Answer by amy31308 at 10:29 AM on Sep. 9, 2009

• i'm*
    amy31308

• United Methodists
    anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 10:30 AM on Sep. 9, 2009

• Considering that Jesus' first miracle was turning water into wine I have no problem with drinking alcohol as long as it is not done in excess. I've never understood the religions that ban it, anything done to an extreme is dangerous to one's health, even food and no one is banning that.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:58 AM on Sep. 9, 2009

• People seems to confuse the word drunk and the word drink it seems like. An occasional drink is ok , being drunk is not. I am not sure which churches do not allow alcohol. I personnally do not drink... 1st alcoholism runs in the family, 2nd I just do not need it 3rd It is part of the Nazerite vow God has had me keep. Have I drank, yes once or twice in a yr, either at wedding or dinner and only a sip or two. Other than that I cannot and 4thly if I drink even a half a glass I already feel it and I dont like it. I perfer to be drunk in the Holy Spirit on with HIS new wine than the stuff we have on earth. That is more fun and safe and no hang overs :-)
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 11:09 AM on Sep. 9, 2009

• the more strict Church of Christ members do not drink alcohol (like my father). those who do drink usually hide it from others b/c its such a taboo.

teamquinn: i think the Free Will Baptists (at least in OK) still dont drink. the OK alcohol laws are very strict & the rumored reason is b/c the members of our state government are mostly FWB. i could be wrong tho.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 11:17 AM on Sep. 9, 2009

• We're Lutheran and like others have stated true social drinking here and there is fine. We have actual wine during the Lord's Supper. Like one of the previous replies stated, Jesus turned water into wine and would not have done so had drinking alcohol been a sin. There are biblical statements about not being a drunkard but an occasional drink does not make someone a drunkard.
    sopranomommy

Answer by sopranomommy at 11:57 AM on Sep. 9, 2009