Any tips you have for potty training a 18 month old?

We're starting potty training because he acts ready. He'll pee on the toilet for me, he takes his diapers off when they're wet, today he went poop and I came out of my room and he started pulling at his diaper and said " i ent poopy, poopy, poopy!" sure enough he did. He's my first child so I just need tips :) thanks

amy31308

Asked by amy31308 at 10:03 AM on Sep. 9, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Have you tried putting big boy underwear on him? Also maybe use just a diaper at night or when you go some where or he starts have lots of accidents.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:09 AM on Sep. 9, 2009

• http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/potty-training/CC00060

Cavalrybaby02

Answer by Cavalrybaby02 at 10:11 AM on Sep. 9, 2009

• Get a potty chair, get rid of the diapers and get lots of undies. Get shamwow for the cleanups. M&Ms work great for treats, and LOT of patience. Take him every 45 minutes or so. I have 3 potty chairs and 1 potty insert. A tip for pooping...our DD was scared to poop on the potty (IDK why) so I scooped some out of her undies when she was sitting down and when she got up, she thought she did it in the potty, so we made a big deal out of it and she was no longer scared and we haven't had any poop accidents since. Night time training will take a little longer...we are going on 3 months dry during the day but still have a few night time accidents.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 10:11 AM on Sep. 9, 2009

• Well I just bought the pampers pull ups. Should I only do undies? Or should I wait til he uses the toilet more before I do the undies? Will he realize once he pees on himself a few times to not do it anymore?
    amy31308

Answer by amy31308 at 10:15 AM on Sep. 9, 2009

• Btw I have a toilet seat for the toilet, not a potty chair.
    amy31308

Answer by amy31308 at 10:16 AM on Sep. 9, 2009

• you can use pullups at nap and nighttime but you probably need to get a potty chair that way it's with you in the room you are in so you don't have to rush to the bathroom and possibly scare him.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 10:19 AM on Sep. 9, 2009

• PATIENCE!!!!! its going to be frustating but its all worth it
    diapers are so expensive now
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:42 AM on Sep. 9, 2009

• THAT IS WAY TOO YOUNG.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:55 AM on Sep. 9, 2009

• If you wait until he turns 3 it will only take a few days. If you start now, it will be a lot of work and take up to a year. Why put yourself through that? Wait until he turns 3.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 12:40 PM on Sep. 9, 2009

• there is no wrong age, for you people who say to wait until 3. when i was 9 months old i potty trained, it was the pretty panties. every child has their own age. my oldest trained just after her first birthday, my second is 30 months old now and doesnt want to use the potty, but my youngest is 16 months now and she is starting. to wait until 3 is not right. your child knows when its time. and a lot of work? isnt that part of being a parent, to be there for your child through the challenging times in life. Thats the first big step towards independence, why hold your child back? Get a potty chair and and few potty training books, sit with him and read a book about it. its all about getting them excited about it, its a scary change. just coach him through it praising him along the way.
    JLC3GIRLS

Answer by JLC3GIRLS at 2:22 PM on Oct. 10, 2009