How to get my son sleeping in his own bed?

The house we live in has one window unit and it is the furthest from the bedrooms. It took me almost all summer to get something set up so the rooms weren't so hot you couldn't sleep but my son has decided that the couch is now his bed. Now that it is cooler in his room how do I get him to sleep in his bedroom all night? I've tried moving him after he goes to sleep but he wakes up in the middle of the night and moves to the couch. I've also tried starting him out in his bed but he thinks his room is for playing only. I've also wondered if it's the bed because the mattress is kinda hard. Any ideas would be great.

booandbity

Asked by booandbity at 10:31 AM on Sep. 9, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• It's probably not the mattress, it's just become a habit to sleep someplace other than his bed. You're going to need to explain that he needs to sleep in his own bed and stick with it. Focus on getting him to go to sleep in his bed and close his door (or gate it) so that he can't get out. When we had trouble getting our son to sleep in his new bed, we stayed in the room with him until he fell asleep as long as he stayed in his bed. If he got out, we left and closed the door behind us. We'd let him protest a bit then go back in and try again. Eventually we could leave the room after putting him down without a battle. Being persistent is going to be the only way to break the habit.
    momofryan07

Answer by momofryan07 at 1:13 PM on Sep. 9, 2009

• I would nicly tell him he needs to get into his bed and put him in it and tell him goodnight. I even leave the tv on for my girls on educational programs and they just fall asleep and then I turn it off. But once he tries to escape to the couch I would not say anything but just pick him up and put him back in his bed. You have to be presistant and just keep putting him back there. It may be a long night but he will eventually go to sleep and after a week at the most he should be adjusted to his bed and know thats where he sleeps. I used this method and it worked great. Also I thought my girls bed was kinda hard as all toddler beds are so I put a big comfy conforter down on top of the matress with an adult size pillow and she loves it. It makes it cozier and she sleeps better. Good luck.
    QTMamma01

Answer by QTMamma01 at 1:13 PM on Sep. 9, 2009

• When i first switched my daughter from the crib to the toddler bed i had a hard time keeping her in the bed and almost every morning would find her sleeping on the floor. we went together to pick out a special pillow, in hopes to encourage her to stay in bed, we ended up buying a giant stuffed tiger lol his name is sleepy tiger now, he's not a play-toy and he's always at the head of her bed. at night I kiss her and the sleepy tiger goodnight lol.
    Ranavan

Answer by Ranavan at 2:38 PM on Sep. 9, 2009

• I found a great book that helps moms and babies transition between sleeping situations called The No Cry Sleep Solution Book by Elizabeth Pantley. It's helped me wean my son from nursing to sleep... but it also helps when you want to transition your baby from your bed to their crib. Good luck!
    kanoas_mommy

Answer by kanoas_mommy at 3:19 PM on Sep. 9, 2009