Did anyone else have a Dr. they didn't like?

My doctor is the pits! I ask him questions and he responds with a smart ass remark (NO LIE). I told him I wanted to read up on autism and could he recommend any journals to me. He gives me a terrible look and throws out a few journal names....now he seems mad at me and doesn't talk to me or really allow me any time with him to ask questions. I am a new preggo mom and I have tons of questions =( I don't trust him now and I wish he wasn't going to deliver my DD... WHAT DO I DO?

Wintersmom09

Asked by Wintersmom09 at 10:32 AM on Sep. 9, 2009 in Pregnancy

• get a new doctor. easy as that. i loved my doctor!
    amy31308

Answer by amy31308 at 10:34 AM on Sep. 9, 2009

• I live in a small town and there are only 4 ob/gyn in the same practice. They are the only ones that deliever at the hospital covered by my insurance. I'm stuck, so if your really unhappy and have a choice change the dr.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:36 AM on Sep. 9, 2009

• I don't really like my doctor! This is my second pregnancy and my first obgyn was great, there was a couple of things he did that I didn't agree with but the one I have now, he seems like an idiot, and everyone that goes to him gives him the best reference! Unless you are 100% sure that your unborn child has autism then why stress yourself studying it, unless the child has it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:38 AM on Sep. 9, 2009

• If you don't like your doc change. I went to the same practice for both of my pregnancies. WIth my first the day I was induced I found out the doc that sent me for induction scared the crap out of me for no reason (first time Mom telling me the baby "has to come out within 4 hours or we are in MAJOR trouble"----it wasn't true and he's a jerk). When I got pregnant with my second I called the practice and asked if they do the same thing---rotate you between the doctors throughout pregnancy because you never know who will be on call when you go into labor (I was okay with that, some people aren't). They said yes. I told them I will not schedule an appointment with Dr. XXX and they said "oh he retired!" I said "GREAT!"
    lissa27504

Answer by lissa27504 at 10:49 AM on Sep. 9, 2009

• OH OH OH!! don't get me started on Doctors. I just had my little boy August 14th, ten weeks early. I had been seeing a female doc the whole time and even when my hubby went he noticed she really wasn't mentally present in the room when I was there for apps. Early in the week before I had my litte boy I had noticed I was leaking a clear blood tinged fluid. It was early in the morning so making a doc app wasn't an option. I ended up going to the hospital and was seen by the doc on call for my pratice. I had never met this lady and she immediately diagnosed it as being amniotic fluid and said I wasn't going to leave the hospital until I had the baby. We were scared out of our mind. I got the steroid shots and 6 hours later when my actual doc was on lunch she came and examined me and said it wasn't amniotic fluid, just an infection. She left the room and the next thing I know I was being discharded with no word from the doc.
    CowKiss

Answer by CowKiss at 10:54 AM on Sep. 9, 2009

• Anywho, I switched doctors just that week and bam my son was born. I still see my old doc in the office but I figure I need to be comfy and trust the doc. They think that my fluid really was leaking and my doc misdiagnosed it. I almost had my son at home by myself because of that doc's mistake. I was 9cm by the time I got to the hospital again. So my advice would be to change doctors if it is possible. Your health and the health of your baby is worth way more then anything.
    CowKiss

Answer by CowKiss at 11:12 AM on Sep. 9, 2009

• Thanks for all the answers. I don't think my child has autism but her half brother is autistic and I wanted info on and for him. I'm also 30 weeks pregnant and I don't think that any other doctor will take me so late...
    Wintersmom09

Answer by Wintersmom09 at 11:12 AM on Sep. 9, 2009

• That's not true. There are many women who have switched much later than 30 weeks. You have the right to switch care, you are under no obligation to stay with a person who is not working out.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 1:09 PM on Sep. 9, 2009

• I switched doctors at 32 weeks with no problems. If you're really unhappy, go ahead and call around and see who else you can find. It's really not that difficult. Just ask different doctors any relevant questions you have (like what insurance they take, where they deliver, any specific questions you have) and make an appointment. I only came across one doctor who wouldn't take me because I was so far along; everyone else didn't have a problem with it at all. And once you find another doctor you like, go back to the old one and fill out the form to get your medical records transferred to the new doctor (you might have to pay some, it was $20 for me), and you're all set. Piece of cake. And very worth it to have peace of mind. :)
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 1:45 PM on Sep. 9, 2009

• I absolutely hated my first doctor, he told me not to come in without an appointment scheduled by him (no rescheduling...even though that one I was bleeding & cramping & the ER told me to make an appointment with him for that week, he didn't think I needed it for another 4weeks) & also that I wasn't to ask questions until my 2nd trimester because it was likely I would miscarry anyways (which I DIDN'T btw). I finally switched at 12weeks to a family practice doctor until I could find an OB. She was nice, but never explained any of the tests & would send me for ultrasounds but labeled them "optional" on the paperwork so now I'm stuck with bills I wasn't aware I'd have to pay because my insurance only pays for "medically necessary" ultrasounds. I got my current OB at 26weeks. I am switching later this week (week 33) because she is pushing c-section. It may be a hassel to switch, but if you're uncomfortable, its the best choice.
    WannabeMommy87

Answer by WannabeMommy87 at 2:09 PM on Sep. 9, 2009