I had "THAT" Kid last night at the store...... what would you do?

So I took my son to the store with my mother and my niece. My son is 22 months old. HATES To sit in the cart so I let him help push it and be my big helper, well he didn't get a nap at daycare because a new child was there and was crying so it kept a couple of kids up at naptime, so this made him extra energetic... he was pretty out of control and not listening so I Put him in the cart and buckled him in and he SCREAMED for the rest of the shopping trip - this was a grocery store trip where I am the one in my family with the membership so I didn't have the " leave the food in the cart and leave the store' option, so I let him scream. We tried distraction, bringing his favorite toy, his water and a snack - NONE of that helped... I didn't lose my cool ( which I was proud of ) but how many of you have gone through this? what works for you?

maxsmom11807

Asked by maxsmom11807 at 10:36 AM on Sep. 9, 2009 in General Parenting

• I agree that most of us have had "that kid" at the grocery store at least once, and if not you're just lucky not a better mom for it. I don't think that just leaving the store is always the best option, especially if the crying child wants to leave the store and leaving would just teach them to start bawling the next time they wanted to go home instead of shopping. I think you did the right thing but just sticking it out and not losing your cool.
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 11:37 AM on Sep. 9, 2009

• I went through this with my son & I just let him cry. I don't care what others think. Well OK sometimes I do, but when it comes to that I don't
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:37 AM on Sep. 9, 2009

• It happens mama! great job on not losing your cool!! Yep, it's happen to me before, I do try to not make these trips if my kids are tired, cranky or hungry, but sometimes you have no choice. I just keep on moving, sometimes I will sing quietly to them or ignore it.
    buzymamaof3

Answer by buzymamaof3 at 10:39 AM on Sep. 9, 2009

• i had the same problem with my son 2 years ago. i started busting his ass and buckiling him in the cart. i let him scream and squirm, however i did not try to give him things, bc i dont reward him for calming him down. i simply ignored him and soon enough he stopped. and when i say bust his ass, i mean that by i spanked his ass in the middle of the store to get his attention to stop.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:40 AM on Sep. 9, 2009

• I think we've all had "that kid" one time or another, and any mom who tells you it has never happened to her is probably lying.

That being said, I'd either do what you did and just ignore the tantrum or leave if possible. I've had miserable trips to the store because I couldn't just leave without milk, bread or some other staple. In the future, try to make the trip quicker if you know he's extra tired. And never go without a list if you can help it. I know it sucks to make multiple trips for a couple things each time, but it can actually be less stressful that way if you have his attention and he's helpful only for 20 min or something.
    raybird1031

Answer by raybird1031 at 10:43 AM on Sep. 9, 2009

___
    Ditto to this. :)

I try to get the kids a snack while we're there, that usually keeps them occupied. Other than that I just ignore it.

We usually get what we have to have and get out of there ASAP. I don't particularly enjoy listening to them scream anymore than the other shoppers do. :)
    Cavalrybaby02

Answer by Cavalrybaby02 at 10:49 AM on Sep. 9, 2009

• yup been there done that... and will prob do it again and again... kids will be kids & sometimes this is the reality of shopping... I do what you did. Now he's 2 1/2 so I pull the cart to an empty (or less crowded) isle and calmly tell him his behavior is not acceptable and remind him how to act. When he was 22mo (before & a few months after) I'd simply ignore it or say things like 'o I know sitting in the cart is awful isn't it' and just keep going. There's not much else you can do. Just remember other moms have been there & if they are like me they are thinking 'o that poor mom she's just trying to shop I wish there was something I could do to help'
    landensmommy411

Answer by landensmommy411 at 11:02 AM on Sep. 9, 2009

• Yup, I have had that "kid". Luckily, my grocery store has a daycare ( free) and they watch the kids while I shop. Thank Goodness!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:16 AM on Sep. 9, 2009

• Congrats on not losing your cool. Yes, I have been through it and nothing helps. I just have to let it go while I shop at warp speed and get out of there. It does get better eventually.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:26 AM on Sep. 9, 2009

• It usually only happens to me when I have my 2 younger ones with me. I always loose my cool. There is nothing you could do. I always feel like everyone is thinking that I am a bad mother. It happens to everyone.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 12:19 PM on Sep. 9, 2009