screaming 20 month old?!

My daughter just started screaming when she starts crying b/c she doesn't get what she wants.I have no idea where she learned this from, what can I do to teach her not to scream?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:39 AM on Sep. 9, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My son sometimes does the same thing. I calmly explain why he can't have what he wants then try to redirect his attention, ignoring the rest of the screaming. A simple "You can't have the knife because it's dangerous. Let's go play with. you blocks.." then I head off to the toy/object. Don't try telling him to stop crying as that just draws attention to it and, at least in my case, makes it worse. he gets tired of crying since it isn't getting any results and gives up.
    momofryan07

Answer by momofryan07 at 10:56 AM on Sep. 9, 2009

• tell her "no", put her in time out and ignore it. If you give into it, it will never stop and will get worse. Trust me, it will get worse. This is how it started for a child i babysit. She started with crying when she didn't get her way, then it went to stomping her feet and yelling, then to screaming (and i mean screechy-screaming) and flailing herself about. Her parents never tell her no, they give into her every demand, and this is how she behaives now for everyone! This has been going on for over two years. She is finally behaiving for me (we're down to 1-2 screaming, hour long tantrums which is a big improvement). Yes, it can get that bad if you don't nip it in the butt.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:52 AM on Sep. 9, 2009