I know he resigned (don't believe he's gone though) but I'd like to know ??

What the heck does uppity mean ( in the sense that Van Jones was using it?) I've checked the dictionary and cross referenced some stuff and here's the conclusion that I came to - in the context of his speech he meant audacious (even arrogant) behavior that he has has no right to.

I hate when politics are taken out of context - but I'm having a hard time putting this one in context. Everything I can find certainly suggest that the context of his statement was both racial and vengeful - As moderate as I am I don't want to believe that any one of such lacking character and Americanism could ever be entrusted to lead our country.

How/what did you take "uppity" to mean? So, did he mean it to say that "We're going to take liberties with the country which we have no right to" (we meaning his affiliate organizations - not his race). Alternately meaning transform the country by force??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:53 AM on Sep. 9, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• What he meant was that he and other blacks were going to defy the whites in power, they were no longer going to stay quietly in their "proper" place.

Uppity is a criticism of someone who is breaking out of their assigned role and asserting more independence than the criticizer wants them to.

Poor people or lower-level workers can have the criticism of "uppity" levelled at them when they are "getting above themselves" in their expectations.
    Blacks could be termed "uppity" in a community which assigns blacks as second-class citizens.
    Women can be called "uppity", no matter what their income level or community they are in, by husbands or family which want them to remain in a servile, dependent role.
    waldorfmom

Answer by waldorfmom at 4:09 PM on Sep. 9, 2009

• I always thought uppidy meant like "one upper".
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 11:04 AM on Sep. 9, 2009

• Arogant really. Like the dude who is always trying to "one up" everyone else. Sorry, my first post went & posted & i was not done.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 11:06 AM on Sep. 9, 2009

• Can you post a link to the quote in question?
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 11:09 AM on Sep. 9, 2009

• It means snobbish. It's also a word blacks use to describe other blacks (as an insult) for acting too white.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:10 AM on Sep. 9, 2009

• It is short for "up in your face". I hear kids at school use it all the time. It was basically a type of threat or battle cry for his "organization" (he said he is a type of community organizer) to stand and fight the evil whiteman and the evil conservative republicans.
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 11:17 AM on Sep. 9, 2009

• You'd need to go search out a link to a video - I found two and one just cuts off right there at the "uppity" statement (not enough to get the whole context) and the other it's like 3 minutes in before he makes the statement. I'd rather you find it for yourself and judge for yourself. I'm just trying to ascertain if this guy is still a threat (as has been said) - I know my intuition tells me to not trust him, to watch him, but I don't want to misjudge someone who has good intentions for his "race" but just doesn't have a very good way of communicating it - which begs me to believe that if he isn't an effective communicator or says stuff he doesn't "mean" then he shouldn't be any kind of spokesman for his race or his organization.
    Huh, maybe I just answered my own question.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:31 AM on Sep. 9, 2009

• I took it as him being pushy and arrogant as well. Althouigh from the speeches I saw it wasn't a stretch for him that's the impression I got.
    sopranomommy

Answer by sopranomommy at 11:42 AM on Sep. 9, 2009

• I hope they don't delete this because it is for educational purposes only. the original "term" was "uppity ni@@er" (sorry) and it meant a black person who was acting like they had the rights of a white person (historical here) Of course, now that black and white and purple dolkadotted people eaters all have the same rights it is sorta wierd to even use it. but yeah audacious (even arrogant) behavior that he has has no right to pretty much covers it. But the reason he would have no right to it would be because he was a slave/porperty. Very racist term no matter who uses it.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:50 AM on Sep. 9, 2009