DOES YOUR FAMILY EVER HAVE FAMILY MEETINGS?

SOMETIMES AIRING OUT STUFF THAT CAUSE CONFLICTS IN A FAMILY IS RESOLVED THROUGH COMMUNICATION AND AIRING OUT WHAT CAUSES IT, DO ANY OF YOU DO THIS?

Asked by older at 11:05 AM on Sep. 9, 2009 in General Parenting

Level 69 (2,285,492 Credits)
  • Yes, we do and we have for a very long while (since my oldest, who is 23, was around 9 or 10). We are very big on resolving conflict and letting our children know that we are there for them if they need someone to talk to. My oldest son's wife thinks that that's stupid, she feels that that coddles a child. Conflicts, in her opinion, cannot be solved with just talking. Sometimes it takes days or weeks or even months to resolve things, if they EVER get resolved. She also feels that it's incorrect for parents to let their children turn to them for advice after the age of 13. I will never apologize for how I raised my sons. I have raised really great young men and I think that having family conferences helped keep the line of communication open, let my sons know that we were there for them to to listen TO them and prevented long term conflicts between brothers in situations that could have caused resentment if not talked out.
    tracylynnr67

Answer by tracylynnr67 at 12:07 PM on Sep. 9, 2009

• Once weekly, my husband, stepson and I sit down and talk about things. Every Saturday before lunch. Then we will sit and talk with his biomom anytime something comes up that needs to be discussed with her. Last time was about a month ago, but there is another one brewing now. She isn't very involved, so we only give her as much information as she needs.
    Mom1Stepmom1

Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 11:09 AM on Sep. 9, 2009

• Not really. I would love to. But it would be DH and I since our kids are too young to have any real input into it. My DH though was raised to not believe in resolving conflict. There would be no point.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:12 AM on Sep. 9, 2009

• No we have very good communication in my family so as soon as something does come up we talk about it right away. I think that it's a very good thing besides i hate drama.
    raemommy

Answer by raemommy at 11:13 AM on Sep. 9, 2009

• I don't think we could get our son to sit still that long. But, if there is a problem, he's good about coming to his dad and I about it. We have very open lines of communication,and he knows he can tell us anything. I had the same with my daughter,and as a result, and of not being judgmental, she came to me first when she found out she was pregnant. It was hard, but at least I knew she trusted me enough,and she knew I'd help her,which I did. But, we've never sat down,as per say,and had regular family meetings, although they are a good idea.
    stvmen88

Answer by stvmen88 at 11:18 AM on Sep. 9, 2009

• No, I have better things to do with my time. Never did it growing up either. Hubby's family tried with me, but it was the most retarded thing I have ever seen. Yes, let's all get together and air our feelings. Then we can have a big group hug and sing cum by ya. ::rolls eyes::
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:19 AM on Sep. 9, 2009

• RAEMOMMY, I BELEIVE ON RESOLVING THINGS RIGHT AWAY BEFORE RESENTMENT SETS IN, THAT IS A VERY GOOD PRACTICE, BUT MOST FAMILIES HOLD IT IN IN ORDER TO PREVENT THE DRAMA.

Answer by older at 11:20 AM on Sep. 9, 2009

• Anon 10:19 - very mature. :rolls eyes:
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:23 AM on Sep. 9, 2009

• ANON 11:23, I AGREE!

Answer by older at 11:24 AM on Sep. 9, 2009

• YEAH, I AGREE WITH YOU OLDER,AND THE OTHER ANON,THAT FIRST ONE WAS VERY MATURE! LOL. OH,BY THE WAY, HELLO MY DEAR FRIEND. LOVE YA!
    stvmen88

Answer by stvmen88 at 11:26 AM on Sep. 9, 2009