I NEED IDEAS?

What is something fun and cheap that I can do with my 3 and 4yr old step children! I like doing arts and crafts with them but they dont seem to enjoy it like i use to when my mom would sit down with me!!!

calliesmama09

Asked by calliesmama09 at 11:11 AM on Sep. 9, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• at 3 and 4 make it on their terms get a shower curtain a cheep one and foot and finger paint SOOO much fun remember at this age its 20 minute set up for a 5 minute adventure then another 20 minute take down LOL... what else?? dig in the dirt and plant bulbs for the spring.... go to the park and get going yourself down the slide and take a turn on the swing KIDS LOVE THAT!!
    MELRN

Answer by MELRN at 11:16 AM on Sep. 9, 2009

• I don't know what kinds of things they like, but I know my 3-year-old LOVES to just play. We take a few odd things from the house, and create a game out of them. I let him tell me how we're going to use the things, and then we make up rules and take turns. If he gets bored, we change the game a little. One day, we were in the driveway throwing a ball backwards, over our heads, trying to knock over his bowling pins.
    If you want someting not-so-active, just sit down and color (paint, cut-and-paste, etc.) with them. That way, they won't feel pressured to make a certain craft, but you're all having fun together, and you have the chance to talk, too.
    amy_k_in_pa

Answer by amy_k_in_pa at 11:19 AM on Sep. 9, 2009

• cassie_kellison

Answer by cassie_kellison at 11:20 AM on Sep. 9, 2009

• Mine looses intrest fast on crafts, so I make them quick. Try making a necklace out of fruitloops and yarn. Something they can wear while you play another game. They can eat the fruitloops while making it. So craft and snack time! LOL
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:31 AM on Sep. 9, 2009

• Make brownies - my kids love this. I just make them from a mix. Measure the ingredients, but let them pour them in. Let them crack the eggs (that's the best part). Double the recipe so there are more eggs! Lick the bowl. It's a lot of fun. You can even sprinkle m&m's on top.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 11:59 AM on Sep. 9, 2009

• What do they like and how can you incorporate it into a joint activity? Take them to the park or just outside for a walk and explore. Cook with them, plan the meal or recipe take them shopping with you to get what you need. Remember they are 3 and 4 and keep things open ended and be willing to change things as needed. Maybe do something one on one it doesn't always have to be a together thing. A dress up box for play, play doh, water play, bubbles, build a fort with couch cushions or card table and blankets, decorate cupcakes or cookies. These are just some quick ideas! Just love them and enjoy them and get to know them !!!
    jessa1091

Answer by jessa1091 at 12:12 PM on Sep. 9, 2009

• Parks are always fun and they are free. Get out the sheets and blankets and build a fort in your living room. Make and decorate cookies for the neighbors, have them color a picture to go with them. Give them each $2 and go to your local dollar store to pick out toys. Blow bubbles, put on music and dance.
    emnasmom

Answer by emnasmom at 12:47 PM on Sep. 9, 2009