Did you grow up with the news?

Watching the Cronkite memorial right now when the jerks on CNN will shut up and show it. When you were growing up, was it normal for the news to be on at dinner time or in the morning or was it all cartoons and syndicated reruns?

NotPanicking

Asked by NotPanicking at 11:22 AM on Sep. 9, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• Yes... As well as listening to my parents discuss articles they read in various newspapers... I started reading the WSJ when I was about 12. lol!
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 11:26 AM on Sep. 9, 2009

• No news. In fact, I'm the freak in my family. My parents don't really keep up on politics, my step mom does a little, but none of them really watch the news. I started when I was 16, and while I've stopped watching/reading the news for my political information (all sites are biased and I believe that they all have agenda's that they're trying to promote, so I've concluded the best thing to do is read the bills in Congress and educate myself on what's going on) I still try and know what's going on in the world. (I LOOOOOVE the BBC for world events. They report a LOT of stuff that American news companies do not.)
    Jafra_mommy

Answer by Jafra_mommy at 11:27 AM on Sep. 9, 2009

• Yes the news was on a few times a day at my house growing up.Saturdaym mornings were reserved for the cartoons and my bowl of cereal of course ;)..and then off to play outside again.
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 11:27 AM on Sep. 9, 2009

• my dad was a mensa member, we were only allowed to watch educational television of any sort. documentaries, news, PBS and special shows, which is probably why i dont watch television as an adult.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 11:28 AM on Sep. 9, 2009

• Yes. My Grandad sat every evening at 4:30,and watched Walter Cronkite. Since we were over there at that time,usually, I watched with him. Of course,as a kid,I thought it was boring,but Grandad always told me someday I'd appreciate getting to hear things when they happened. Now, I see the wisdom in that.
    stvmen88

Answer by stvmen88 at 11:28 AM on Sep. 9, 2009

• No news, really.. just hearing small talk between my father and others. I played outside most of my childhood. ;)
    BEXi

Answer by BEXi at 11:30 AM on Sep. 9, 2009

• yes and no..the news was always on,but I always found it depressing...they were always showing some1 dieing or sick. so I never paid attention to it
    Lovin_mybaby5

Answer by Lovin_mybaby5 at 11:31 AM on Sep. 9, 2009

• Radio in the mornings and news every day at 6PM. Like clockwork - then later it was the Buddy & Kay Bailey Show- one of those local morning, talent, everyone who can't sing (and a few who can)- come-on-in shows..... drove me nuts.
    PaceMyself

Answer by PaceMyself at 11:37 AM on Sep. 9, 2009

• News, news, news.. and Reagan was God.

News has become a lot more depressing over the years. I remember it was a mix of good and bad, now it's just all bad.

JackalsWife

Answer by JackalsWife at 11:40 AM on Sep. 9, 2009

• Absolutely!!! My grandfather was a news junkie, radio, TV, papers, magazines. Political discussions and current events were not just the norm but encouraged even among us grandchildren. My parents were the same. I have done it with my own sons. I feel compelled to balance what the media presents with the morals and ethics I try to instill in my boys.
    jessa1091

Answer by jessa1091 at 11:56 AM on Sep. 9, 2009