It's not for a teen, but I still need help...

My Fiance' is in his 4th year of college and is tying desperately to pass Spanish. I don't speak a lick of it much like him, and he's worried this class might stand between him and his diploma!!!

Any advice as to how to help him learn the language? I have a couple of ideas..like...sticky noting my house with what an item is in spanish, but are there any SUPER helpful tricks you guy've learned?

PLEASE HELP ME!! :'(

gabrielle_x

Asked by gabrielle_x at 11:22 AM on Sep. 9, 2009 in Teens (13-17)

• The Rosetta Stone program works really well...it's worth the money.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 11:24 AM on Sep. 9, 2009

• Thanks! I'll look into that...
    gabrielle_x

Answer by gabrielle_x at 11:24 AM on Sep. 9, 2009

• Whoa! Looked into it..and while it would be worth it..600.00 for one semester of Spanish sounds a little outlandish..
    gabrielle_x

Answer by gabrielle_x at 11:26 AM on Sep. 9, 2009

• The school should have tutoring resources. (probably free) Often they are taught by education majors who need the experience, or student recipients of scholarships in that field (language in this case), or even professors. He should find out what is available. Believe it or not, it is important for his professor to know he's seeking help - that goes a long way.
    cutiemoose

Answer by cutiemoose at 11:26 AM on Sep. 9, 2009

• rosetta works but you have to use it. I didn't speak any spanish b4 I married my husband. then I hung around his family alot and now Im fluent in spanish and German(thats my family's side though) So when ask for something ask for it in spanish,or when you show him something,do it in spanish. its just like when your were a child and they were trying to teach you to talk. the repeated a word and showed you what the word was (ex. apple)
    Lovin_mybaby5

Answer by Lovin_mybaby5 at 11:28 AM on Sep. 9, 2009

• "Looked into it..and while it would be worth it..600.00 "

You can download it from BTJunkie
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 11:28 AM on Sep. 9, 2009

• His school actually isn't offering Spanish tutoring ATM..it's, by comparison, a very small college..

I think our community college may have a bigger campus lol.
    gabrielle_x

Answer by gabrielle_x at 11:28 AM on Sep. 9, 2009

• Have his watch television shows in Spanish; it really helps develop the "ear"

Answer by rkoloms at 12:43 PM on Sep. 9, 2009

• Suggest that he find someone to practive conversation with. I'm taking spanish & i find myself picking things up a lot more since I've been meeting with someone twice a week for coffee, just to speak in spanish.
    Wheepingchree

Answer by Wheepingchree at 3:44 PM on Sep. 9, 2009

• There are several websites that have free language help, I can't remember the names of any of them though, maybe google it. Anyway they have parts of the site where they speak the language so you hear it not just read it, "byki" was one of them but I don't remember if it was free or there was memebership through my school. Oh maybe the local high school website forgien language teachers pages they might have links to sites. DS said regentsprep.org
    goaliemom93

Answer by goaliemom93 at 10:14 PM on Sep. 9, 2009