It's not for a teen, but I still need help...

My Fiance' is in his 4th year of college and is tying desperately to pass Spanish. I don't speak a lick of it much like him, and he's worried this class might stand between him and his diploma!!!

Any advice as to how to help him learn the language? I have a couple of ideas..like...sticky noting my house with what an item is in spanish, but are there any SUPER helpful tricks you guy've learned?

PLEASE HELP ME!! :'(

gabrielle_x

Asked by gabrielle_x at 11:23 AM on Sep. 9, 2009 in Tweens (9-12)

• turn on the TV and watch only in SPANISH look and hear the conversation and figure it out I'm fluent now and taught myself 3 years ago by watching TV in spanish the soap operas were the best
    MELRN

Answer by MELRN at 11:26 AM on Sep. 9, 2009

• Immersion is a great method.

Get your DVDs out - movies you've watched and are familiar with. Change the setting to the Spanish audio and rewatch them. A lot. Spanish language TV stations. Get a Spanish language newspaper if you can. If your area has authentic restaurants where Spanish would be spoken, go and dine.

It's not just about learning the words, because there are historical and cultural influences on the language that affect how its used. To really understand the language, you HAVE to understand the people.
    geminilove

Answer by geminilove at 12:21 PM on Sep. 9, 2009

• Have him watch tv on a Spanish station, listen to a Spanish radio station. Get flashcards at the college bookstore. Have him find out if his textbook has a website that offers tutorials, worksheets and extra practice.

I am in a Spanish class also and the instructor said to watch Spanish speaking soap operas. Talk to kids that speak Spanish and our textbook comes with an online tutorial and an online workbook. PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE. Make sure he is pronouncing the words correctly and writing the words correctly. He can also ask his instructor for help or sources he can go to for help.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:06 PM on Sep. 9, 2009