Are you supposed to pay for your child's friend, when inviting them on an outing?

For instance, i want to take my daughter to the Aquarium. ALTHOUGH, it's like $20.00 a ticket, plus food...it gets pricey. I would LOVE to invite her best friend, but honestly...i cannot really afford to pay for her too. I know it's only $20.00, but it would have to come out of my grocery money. I'm so scared to ask the mom for $, i feel like it's rude & makes me look poor...lol. Has anyone ever asked a parent for $ when inviting their child on an outing?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:28 AM on Sep. 9, 2009 in General Parenting

• I think that if you invite your child's friend on an outing, you are offering to pay for that child to go along. If you can't afford to bring a friend, have it just be a special day out for you and your child.
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 11:30 AM on Sep. 9, 2009

• Maybe put it to her this way... say " we would love for your daughter to go with us, but if you don't want to spend the extra money we understand" then that puts it in her court. If the child goes then they know right off that they have to contribute.
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 11:32 AM on Sep. 9, 2009

• Usually i dont, but I have for something expensive like Six Flags. I just say I am taking dd to Six Flags friday and if Mary would like to go I could pick her up. Tickets are $20.She doesnt need spending $... let her know what your plans are for lunch...maybe pack a lunch for all of you.
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 11:33 AM on Sep. 9, 2009

• What I would do is ask the mother directly, do not let it go through the child. Let her know the situation upfront, before she decides and before the child knows. That way she can make whatever decision she thinks is appropriate without pressure from the child.
    jdanielle82

Answer by jdanielle82 at 11:35 AM on Sep. 9, 2009

• I'm not there yet my daughter is too young. I think though if you invite you should pay.
    Jguevara

Answer by Jguevara at 11:38 AM on Sep. 9, 2009

• When my dd is invited to the movies or something I always send her with cash. She is 7. If my dd has a friend over and we go out to dinner we buy for the child. but if it is a scheduled outing parents are usually happy for thier child to have the experience, and parents get a break, they are happy to send $20 with their child.
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 11:41 AM on Sep. 9, 2009

• I would ask the child's mother if she could go. More than likely the mother will give you money. If not, you will have to pay. I wouldn't feel right about asking for money.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 11:44 AM on Sep. 9, 2009

• I usually do and my parents always did. My dad used to take my friends and I to the fair and pay for everything. They always brought money, too, though just in case.

You can always word it so that you guys "meet up there" that way it's a share the cost kind of thing.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:44 AM on Sep. 9, 2009

• To me, it always seems appropriate to pay if you invite, regardless of the circumstances. However, you could go to the mother and say "We are going to the aquarium next weekend. We would love to take Mary with us, the tickets are $20." Then see what she says. I always send my son with money when he does things with friends, but I always pay for his friend when we do something. So, she may just pay for her daughter to go.
    Mom1Stepmom1

Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 12:04 PM on Sep. 9, 2009

• Depends on where we go. If it's out to eat or to the mall, no and I will buy both girls something of equal value. For example, if I take my daughter and her friend to Toys R Us, I will let them pick out a 10 dollar doll each and make sure it's relatively the same. My mom did the same with with my friend (who just so happens to be my daughter's friend's mom lol)

If it is somewhere more expensive like to the zoo, I will ask my friend if her and her daughter are doing anything and would like to split the ticket price, I'll buy lunch if she buys breakfast. Type things.
    OneToughMami

Answer by OneToughMami at 12:08 PM on Sep. 9, 2009