How do I make my daughter stop biting?

My daughter is 11 months old and she bites everyone and everything. She IS teething( she has been, pretty much since the day she was born). But it is becoming a problem. I don't know how to make her stop. Saying "no, no" doesn't work no matter how stern I try to sound. I know that it is normal for her to bite when she is teething, but she bites so hard and it hurts.Any ideas?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:42 AM on Sep. 9, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Let the bashing begin but bite her back...not hard enough to leave a mark but hard enough so she knows it hurts. that is how my family has always handled it and it always works.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 11:49 AM on Sep. 9, 2009

• Please don't bite your baby. Just keep telling her No
    abellvalerie

Answer by abellvalerie at 11:51 AM on Sep. 9, 2009

• When you say NO!, if you are holding her put her down and and step away from her. If she bites someone else, take her and say NO! again and put her down and step away. It is very frustrating, I know and you may have to do this many times before she gets it. Be patient, remember she doesn't yet have the words to express herself. Be firm and don't let anyone else pick her up or try to pacify her even if she's screaming her head off! Only let her cry for a minute, but let her get the message. Also try to anticipate when she is going to bite and tell her no biting before she does. hope this helps. My oldest was a biter, too and it took a while to break him!
    jessa1091

Answer by jessa1091 at 11:52 AM on Sep. 9, 2009

• we say "no biting" sternly then put ds down and walk away or turn our back. He still does it, so it takes a while, and it's hard or not always possible to do this in public, but try and be consistant and like the pp said, when he's "mouthing" me I remind him not to bite, it usually works
    gypsymama532

Answer by gypsymama532 at 1:45 PM on Sep. 9, 2009