Benefits for single moms?

We live in Washington State. Daughter has a beautiful 8-month-old boy. Our little guy's "father" is a wanna be rockstar, and has little involvement, but his PARENTS are amazing. Does anyone in Washington know if we can get any support from the State to help her with things like insurance, etc, if she leaves her job to care for our boy full time? She gets a whopping $200 a month in "support". The father's parents are willing to take this boy and assume 100% responsibility, and that is killing my heart. There is a LONG story behind this, of course.

Thanks to all, or any, with input. As I'm not on this much, a reply to ruth.shapovalov@yahoo.com would be awesome!

Ruth aka MomShap

MomShap

Asked by MomShap at 12:09 PM on Sep. 9, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I guess I am a little confused. Yes there is state insurance. But if she has no other means to take care of the child she shouldn't quit her job. He is her responsibility. You want them to live off the system?

Natsnumberthree

Answer by Natsnumberthree at 12:20 PM on Sep. 9, 2009

• Someone is not usually eligible for benefits for quite a long period of time if they voluntarily leave a job. This is something she should look into and carefully consider before she leaves her job.

I would do what it took to take care of my child rather than sending him to live with his grandparents. If they are so 'amazing', why aren't they offering to help the mom instead of just offering to take the child away from her? Why is their support conditional on them raising the child themselves?
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 12:30 PM on Sep. 9, 2009

• Your daughter will need to contact a social worker to review what her rights and benefits are. It varies state by state and case by case based on state guidelines.
    KATEISME

Answer by KATEISME at 12:43 PM on Sep. 9, 2009

• Thank you to those providing thoughtful answers. In response to the "want her to live off the system" remark - no. I don't want her to live off the system. However "the system" exists to help in worthy situations. This is one. There are details I will not post on this public forum.

We're exploring all avenues of help. I was looking for an experienced person who might know, for instance, that she could obtain some financial assistance while cutting back to part time work. I'd rather have my daughter obtaining assistance than lose her to depression.

The others, as I often call the other Grandparents, are offering what they thing might be best for the child. I don't agree with it, but my husband thinks it's a good option, especially if they are willing to do so temporarily until she gets emotionally/mentally healthy.

THEY, however, would make it permanent if they could.

We're looking into temporary disability...
    MomShap

Answer by MomShap at 4:08 PM on Sep. 9, 2009