Would you be offended....

Private school with a dress code. Kids arent following dress code so 1st time is a warning, 2nd time they call parents for a change of clothes. Parents say they arent leaving work cause Janeys skirt is too short..so What is the school to do? Then Mary's mom says why does Janey always get away with short shorts? Before you know it dress code is a problem. I can think of 2 solutions,..(keep in mind if we tick off parents then enrollment goes down which we dont want).
1. Uniforms
2. If parents cant bring a change of clothes then the office will give child a large tshirt with school logo on it to wear over their clothes. (Principal said parents would be outraged at this..what do you think?)

ria7

Asked by ria7 at 12:10 PM on Sep. 9, 2009 in Just for Fun

• I think they are great idea's, if parents are choosing to put their child in a specific school then they are choosing to follow the rules, like children, if they can't or won't follow the rules then there shold be consequences for their actions
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 12:13 PM on Sep. 9, 2009

• I think if they are going to sign their child up for the school then they know the rules from the start. They should have to follow them. I also think that if the parents don't want to abide by the rules then the child should be put in ISS (In school suspension) until they realize that the dress code is there for a reason. I wish public schools would go to uniforms, it would make things so much easier.
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 12:14 PM on Sep. 9, 2009

• I don't know. I always hated it too. I never understood why all the girls that were buddies with the dean of girls were allowed to wear shorts up there butts but when mine were an inch too short I got written up. It's not like they even sell shorts long enough to fit the dress code. So then what do you do? It your child is tall and thin, the shorts will be shorter on her. I think the T-shirt thing might work, but can you find ones long enough to cover the legs? At least it sets them apart and makes them feel silly so they will try to follow the dress code in the future.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:15 PM on Sep. 9, 2009

• That sounds like the school district here. Except after the 3rd violation you get 1 day suspension...new rule this year
    OneToughMami

Answer by OneToughMami at 12:16 PM on Sep. 9, 2009

• For one thing all parents should have to sign a paper at the beginning of the year that states what the dress code is and that they are willing to and agree to enforcing it. Consequences for that would be listed on the paper so everybody knew, per your example: if parents couldn't bring clothes their child would be provided with the school logo t-shirt or what have you. If it's just not working, uniforms are the way to go.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:16 PM on Sep. 9, 2009

• Sounds like a very credible solution to me! Also sounds like the principal has no spine! What great examples these parents are setting for their children! The principal isn't do much better either. Principal's attitude tells the kids that the school won't do anything even if you break the rules, so who cares! Principal should be more concerned with the children than the parents in this situation.
    jessa1091

Answer by jessa1091 at 12:18 PM on Sep. 9, 2009

• You know the rules before you sign up your child. Just follow the damn rules people and all chaos will be avoided in regards to this.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:18 PM on Sep. 9, 2009

• I think there needs to be uniforms. My kids go to a private school and we have uniforms. All our approved skirts are close to knee length and the shorts are all appropriately long.

I don't think "ticking parents off" because of dress code is really that big of a deal. If they decide to go to another school for something that minor, they weren't committed to your school to begin with. Our school is the only one of it's kind in our city, only one of 2 in our state, so I wouldn't let a little thing like dress code keep my kids from going to this awesome school.

I say if you choose option 2 and the parents get mad, tough s****. Tell them to follow the dress code next time. OR, send the kid to a detention type room. If they can't be dressed appropriately, they can't attend class with those who are. Parents need to teach the kids to follow the school rules.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:21 PM on Sep. 9, 2009

• I remember when I was in high school I was wearing a skirt that came to my knee on one side and was longer on the other. The school considered it irregular and said I need to change mine you I was not breaking any dress code. They could not get a hold of my mother as this was before call phones. I had to sit in the office all day and miss out in my classes because of this. To them the skirt i was wearing was more important than my education

I think if a child is constantly breaking dress code I don't see a problem with the T- shirt Idea
    abellvalerie

Answer by abellvalerie at 12:22 PM on Sep. 9, 2009

• Love the T-shirt idea. When I was in Jr High if you forgot your gym clothes you got to wear the crappy yellow things with snaps and elastic everywhere rather than the soft strechy modern blue things that you owned. Believe me you didn't forget twice! Personally I don't think a large t-shirt over a skirt is the right look. I would think a granny skirt the pratically drags on the ground over whatever you are wearing would be better. Or maybe they could go put on their gym clothes for the day. Personally I would assume that the parents had no clue how badly their child was dressed and e-mail them a picture. If Jamie's butt cheecks are hanging out I bet mommy will find the time to bring a change of clothes and Jamie won't be sitting down for a few days.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:25 PM on Sep. 9, 2009