People with Mentally retarted kids.

Do you think If a couple has had one or two mentally retarted kids, with a "poor quality of life" They should be allowed/choose to have an more children, If there is a high risk of the next child having the same problem? Same for parents with kids that have a disorder that make it hard for the child and parents to survive. Do you think they should keep reproducing, or pretty much keep trying to have a healthy baby?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:10 PM on Sep. 9, 2009 in General Parenting

• i saw this lady at the store with 2 blind boys i felt bad for the kids because obviously something went wrong twice...if they have one they shouldn't have another, unless its DS because that its a chance thing
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:12 PM on Sep. 9, 2009

• why would you feel bad for 2 blind boys? Yes they are taught differently but they still are just like everyone else and have the potential to have a full life with a wife and family and be productive members of society.

I think it is very scary when we start taking about "allowing" people to have children based on certain criteria. I think its a very personal family decision and that others need to not pass judgement.
    3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 12:17 PM on Sep. 9, 2009

• wow! first dont use the word retarted because in todays world people use it wrongly,second why in the heck do you ask should they be allowed? we live in america ofcourse they are allowed,theres people that have 5 girls before they get a boy,should they be allowed to do this? ofcourse! just how these people are hoping for a healthy child others hope for a certain gender,nothing wrong with that.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:18 PM on Sep. 9, 2009

• so, what are you saying anon 12:12--that woman should have aborted her baby if she found out it was blind? You're horrible. You felt sorry for this woman who had 2 blind boys, well, you're a fricken saint aren't you? These boys may very well be living a wonderful life with loving parents, but you just assume b/c their blind, their life must suck? OMG you're ignoratnt!
    citymama707

Answer by citymama707 at 12:18 PM on Sep. 9, 2009

• oh, and to answer your question anon. OP...

No. for you to assume that a mentally handicap person automatically has a poor quality of life is ignorant. My neice is mentally "retarded" as you put it. She's happy, healthy, loved and has a great, normal life. Her quality of life is so much better than my other neice who lives with her dead-beat whore of a mother.

What you consider a healthy baby, may not always be. Just b/c someone has a mental handicap, doesn't mean they are not healthy.

Maybe you and your ignoragnce should not be allowed to breed, after all, we have enough ignorant, hateful people in this world already.
    citymama707

Answer by citymama707 at 12:24 PM on Sep. 9, 2009

• If you believe that then we should neuter all junkies and people who have been in jail too. Well maybe you're not being all that ignorant. You're just asking a question. If I had some disorder, then I'd think hard about passing it on to my child least they suffer as I have. It's a hard decision but many people go ahead and try at least once. Many times the child is fine. But I also think a doc should advice them properly. Unless you want the government to step in and stop them. Hmm, mandatory abortions? Weird.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:40 PM on Sep. 9, 2009

• I've spent a lot of time around those with disabilities. I've taken care of my own brother for most of my life. They tend to have the sweetest souls and I think they contribute more to society than most "normal" people. I truly believe they are here to teach the rest of us how to be more compassionate and understanding, and I can't think of a higher purpose than that :)

msmoody

Answer by msmoody at 12:40 PM on Sep. 9, 2009

• My son is deaf. Does that mean I should quit having children just because he's deaf and I run the possiblity of having more that are deaf? Questions like that piss me off. How do you know what the quality of life is for anyone other then your own family? What's next....killing off people who have HIV/AIDS, or people with a low IQ? Maybe we should round up the homeless and gas them all.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:43 PM on Sep. 9, 2009

• I am not familiar with the word "retarted". Does it mean ignorant and semi-literate?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:54 PM on Sep. 9, 2009

• I have two kids with autism. The oldest was dx when I was pregnant with the second. I would have stopped myself from gettin pregnant a second time if I had known about the first one. I would not have had an abortion. That's my personal pref. But only so that I could be then more able to concentrate more on the one child. Life is hard for us. But my kids have taught me so very much and I love being a mom. I'm not having anymore kids because (1) their dad left us and (2) I would not want to risk having a third autistic child.
    But feel free to come after me with a shot gun if I ever change my mind.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:59 PM on Sep. 9, 2009