Looking from another perspective...What are the good things that come as consequence of the Government providing Public Assistance?

For one thing the companies that produce the products to be distributed to food stamps recipients have a "loyal" consumer so it is a steadfast profit.

Anything else, anyone???

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:20 PM on Sep. 9, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• I havent ever been on any other form of PA only WIC but it is a prgram I stand behind. Here Our WIC promotes shopping at farmers market you can sign up for a class and get $20 to shop there, I think it encourages people to buy local produce which is really good for my small town, and people come back when the $20 runs out to spend their own money. It helps encourage not only buying locally which keeps the money where it needs to be but it also helps to buy healthier foods. I see it as a win win all the way around.
    3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 12:32 PM on Sep. 9, 2009

• teacherYeah..... school me on this one??    I wanna know.

PaceMyself

Answer by PaceMyself at 12:26 PM on Sep. 9, 2009

• it sounds as if you are being sarcastic, correct?

But yes, every once in awhile you will find the single mom or dad that have hit rock bottom and need some help getting back on their feet. This is what the system was intended for. These are the people who get off it at the first chance to and are responsible. They are rare.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:30 PM on Sep. 9, 2009

• Don't quote me on this:

"Employers prefer to hire people on PA because their companies get tax breaks for doing so".

Is this a good consequence?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:33 PM on Sep. 9, 2009

• Did you know that welfare was actually invented for coal miners' widows. They had so dang many coal miners die that they had to do something.
    Anonymous

• 3 ring circus. Thanks my dear for the post. OP
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:34 PM on Sep. 9, 2009

• "Did you know that welfare was actually invented for coal miners' widows. They had so dang many coal miners die that they had to do something."

Anon: thanks for the info. I would have to get confirmation of your statement but please ladies keep them coming. OP

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:35 PM on Sep. 9, 2009

• I think there are times people need PA. Difficult situations that require a temp help up... But I think too many times politicians have slowly expanded coverage to incorporate MORE people. Which gives us what we have growing in this nation. A handout.  The entitlement generation. They feel they are owed things by the government because they made poor irresponsible choices. They milk and abuse the GOOD PA was intended for.   I think PA holds people back from achieving their full potential. Many times they cop out and take the easy route. Less work. If they would just work harder to be a better, more confident individual then they can step away from PA and their opportunities are endless. Again, Star Parker has written some phenomenal books on PA. I highly rec. them.

grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 12:44 PM on Sep. 9, 2009

• With it, we have one million homeless children in the United States. Think about that. How many people live in your town? Imagine if they were all homeless children?

Without it, the number of homeless would at least quadruple overnight.

Answer by rkoloms at 12:53 PM on Sep. 9, 2009

• "Again, Star Parker has written some phenomenal books on PA. I highly rec. them."

grlygrlz2 thanks OP

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:59 PM on Sep. 9, 2009