Do you want to believe the world will end?

Aside from every generation being convinced Revelations will come true in their lifetime. There was a group that took pieces of Nostradamus' quatrains and invented a completely fake "prediction" to "prove" he wrote about 9/11. The reason? There was nothing in his writings that remotely came close to predicting 9/11 and they couldn't believe something that major wouldn't be in there. And even after it was debunked, there are still thousands who want to believe it, and make up elaborate stories about it being a "hidden" quatrain.
Why do people have a need to convince themselves it will all come to an end?

NotPanicking

Asked by NotPanicking at 12:38 PM on Sep. 9, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• They like to believe end times are here because they are miserable in life and think only in coming of Jesus can they be happy.

IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 12:47 PM on Sep. 9, 2009

• I don't want to believe it, but there IS so much evidence that we are witnessing the end of times.. it's kinda scarry.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:41 PM on Sep. 9, 2009

• i don't believe it. How many prophecies (sp?) have already come to pass saying the world was ending on a certain date. too many.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:47 PM on Sep. 9, 2009

• I know the world will end one day. It's a simple fact of life. Just as I, too, will one day die. Immortality is a fairy tale dream, whether we are talking human life or the life of a planet. The life of a planet however, tends to last MUCH longer than that of a human. I am certain that not only I will pass before the planet ends, but my children, my children's children, and several more generations.
    Really it worries me the number of people who are "anxious" for the end of the world to come in hopes of living for eternity somewhere else. If we were meant to live forever than no one would die to begin with. Fact is that EVERYONE dies at some point in time. You're better off making the most of this life than to waste it in hopes of "eternity". There is no such thing as Eternity. All things must eventually come to an end.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 12:48 PM on Sep. 9, 2009

• "Answered at 11:41 AM on Sep. 9, 2009 by: Anonymous
    I don't want to believe it, but there IS so much evidence that we are witnessing the end of times.. it's kinda scarry. "

Please provide your evidence.

Answer by rkoloms at 12:50 PM on Sep. 9, 2009

• I believe it is a coping mechanism for some. Like a judgement in the afterlife, if there is an end or reason to the universe they can feel better about the bad things that happen in life. Even if one's own life is pretty good, everyone sees a lot of bad in the world. Thinking that will all come to an end & replaced by something better is a comfort to them, I think.
    nysa00

Answer by nysa00 at 12:50 PM on Sep. 9, 2009

• Read a history book. War, famine, pestilence, and natural disasters have been happening since the beginning of time. The signs of the end of the world aren't really signs. They are only proof of human nature and planetary nature. What do you think you can do about it if the earth goes up in flames? Same as me. Nothing.
    witchqueen

Answer by witchqueen at 12:52 PM on Sep. 9, 2009

• I'm not afraid, i cant wait, it wont be the end, it will be a new beginning, Can u imagine a beautiful earth, the way it originally was. I think its beautiful.

king james version Psalm 37:9-11:

9For evildoers shall be cut off: but those that wait upon the LORD, they shall inherit the earth.

10For yet a little while, and the wicked shall not be: yea, thou shalt diligently consider his place, and it shall not be.

11But the meek shall inherit the earth; and shall delight themselves in the abundance of peace.

Proverbs 2:21-22:

21For the upright shall dwell in the land, and the perfect shall remain in it.

22But the wicked shall be cut off from the earth, and the transgressors shall be rooted out of it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:54 PM on Sep. 9, 2009

• cont'd from anon 12:54, i dont know when it will happen because only God knows when, but when it does happen, i'll be happy
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:56 PM on Sep. 9, 2009

• Ok, the world will end someday, just not this day or any day soon. Planets, constellations, galaxies... they die. It takes a long time. Do I believe "the end is near" biblical way of thinking, no. Never have. Why do others? It puts them at ease, if their life is going in the wrong direction. Or it's part of their faith ,and good for them if they believe that, I have no problem with it, believe to the fullest extent. Me, I think we will keep spinning on this rock.
    mom2BOYZnDad

Answer by mom2BOYZnDad at 1:05 PM on Sep. 9, 2009