Kinergarten is driving me crazy...

So its the second day of Kindergarten and my son cries from the moment he wakes up and about an hour in class... On top of that he wont let me leave... Yesterday he told me that he had a great day and he was excited to go today! But the whole thought of leaving me drives him nuts... He is lucky I didn't have school cause I'm a full time student and if he would of busted that on a Tuesday or Thursday i would of got in trouble myself for being late... Help! I need advice..

beautiful2257

Asked by beautiful2257 at 12:41 PM on Sep. 9, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• It will get easier with time. The more he gets used to it. Try rewarding him for not crying when you leave or during school. Good luck.
    mamaada

Answer by mamaada at 12:44 PM on Sep. 9, 2009

• Agree with PP...it will get easier as he gets used to it. My friend just went through the same thing and after a couple weeks the issue is now nonexistent. Going to school everyday is a big adjustment for them, just be sure to explain that he needs to go to learn and to have fun, and reassure him that you will be there to pick him up at the end of the day. Good luck!
    MansfieldMomma

Answer by MansfieldMomma at 12:47 PM on Sep. 9, 2009

• It will get easier I had the same problem with one I mine I would walk her to her line and wait with her for her teacher as soon as they had to go in she would start crying. This went on for like a week, so I decided to stop walking her I would just drop her off and her older brother would get her there. She never cried again.

The faster you say goodbye the easier it is on them. He will learn that mom will be back and he will relax and not stress over your goodbyes
    abellvalerie

Answer by abellvalerie at 12:48 PM on Sep. 9, 2009

• I'd talk to the teacher, but I've worked in the schools for years and generally the teacher prefers it if the parents just get the heck out of Dodge and leave. We had a kid who cried for a whole month every time his parents left. Eventually he stopped. The teacher I worked with would just talk over him (though it was hard) and after a bit he figured crying wasn't getting him anything.
    Nika75

Answer by Nika75 at 12:50 PM on Sep. 9, 2009

• It will get better as the days go on (I know that doesn't help NOW). The best thing to do (from what I've seen and heard) is to just drop him off and go. If you take him to school, drop him off at the entrance, don't walk him to the class. He will get to the correct room, their are all kinds of people there to help (administrators and teachers). If you HAVE to walk him to the class, see that he gets in and leave. It will help the teacher if you just leave. I know sometimes that's really hard for parents but it's the best thing.
    lissa27504

Answer by lissa27504 at 12:53 PM on Sep. 9, 2009

• My dd started Kindergarten this year as well. She was fine the 1st day, a lil clingy the 2nd & 3rd & screamed on the 4th... The "newness" had worn off. SO...I started having her ride the bus. NOT my 1st choice since her bus gets here @ 630am! Her teachers have reported that she hasn't cried a single day since! Maybe that would help... Good luck!
    bridgeh2o

Answer by bridgeh2o at 1:18 PM on Sep. 9, 2009

• Like all of the other moms said, it just takes time. I was like that when I started K'garten. I was also shy so I didn't want to talk to anyone or draw attention to myself. But as the days went on, I got used to be there and I knew that my mom would be back for me. I even made some friends along the way! It takes some kids longer to adjust, especially if they're shy and scared.
    QueenBee319

Answer by QueenBee319 at 4:50 PM on Sep. 9, 2009