What age can a child have peanut butter?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:45 PM on Sep. 9, 2009 in General Parenting

• 6 months-1year.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:48 PM on Sep. 9, 2009

• Two.
    Before then, you can safely give your child sunflower seed butter and (if your child is past 1) soynut butter.

Answer by rkoloms at 12:48 PM on Sep. 9, 2009

• Three is what we were told. Seriously, it's a HUGE allergen for children and the symptoms of a peanut allergy can often come on quickly and it's scary. What's the rush for those peanut butter and jelly sandwiches???
    sweetmoonem

Answer by sweetmoonem at 12:50 PM on Sep. 9, 2009

• I was always told to wait until age 1. Unless you have a history of food allergies in your family. Then it's best to wait till age 2. If you have a history of peanut allergies in the family, wait until age 3.

No one in my family, as far back as the great-great-great grandparents on each side has any food allergies.
    Cavalrybaby02

Answer by Cavalrybaby02 at 12:57 PM on Sep. 9, 2009

• So we started peanut butter at age 1.
    Cavalrybaby02

• Peanuts make the top of the big 8 list of food allergies but there really is no definitive answer to this question. Much depends on your family history. If you or anyone in your child's family has a food allergy or allergic type disorder (like asthma or eczema) or if your child has had a food allergy in the past, then you should wait to introduce peanuts and peanut butter. How long? According to the American Academy of Pediatrics, you should wait until your child is 3 years old.

In addition, mothers with any history of a peanut allergy in the family should avoid peanuts and peanut butter in the third trimester of pregnancy and for as long as they are nursing their children.

If there is none of the above in you or your child's history, however, then peanut butter can be a healthy addition to the diet when your child turns 1 year old.

Information from: http://babyparenting.about.com/od/nutritionandfeeding/f/peanutbutter.htm
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 1:18 PM on Sep. 9, 2009

• It depends on who you ask. Our pedi said to start at 1 year if we wanted. Well my son is allergic to it. We were told to wait until he was 2 to try again. He was still allergic. We were told we could try every few months because re-exposure can actually cause it to go away. However, he will not touch peanut butter anymore. So he just gets soynut butter.
    purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 1:28 PM on Sep. 9, 2009

• I didn't give my son peanut butter until he was almost 4.. and that only happened because me & my friend were out and he got hungry and the only thing my friend had on her was peanut butter cookies. He did fine and I still give him peanut butter every now and then. I was always told to wait until he was 2 to try because I am severely allergic to peanut butter so there was a high chance he would be as well. But so far *knock on wood* no problems.
    KalebsMommee

Answer by KalebsMommee at 1:31 PM on Sep. 9, 2009

• DD was at least 2. I wanted to wait until she was 4 but it just didn't happen. She now eats it by the gallon! I would not give it earlier than 2.
    MotherofIreland

Answer by MotherofIreland at 10:34 PM on Sep. 9, 2009

• My Older son is EXTREMELY allergic to peanut butter and we have a family history of eczemaand asthma. So, my younger nson was having some diagestive problems and one of the things they do routinely is blood allergy testing. His levels came back high meaning he has some sort of allergies. The doctor then tested for some common specifics; milk, eggs, peanut butter... He came back negative to peanut butter. Someone told me that if he hasn't been exposed to it, he would not test positive even if he was allergic because his body wouldn't produce the antigen. He has never had peanut butter, BUT I did eat peanut butter while nursing. I wonder if it is safe to give him peanut butter or if I should just wait until he's 3. ??
    ToniMarie3171

Answer by ToniMarie3171 at 2:22 PM on Oct. 31, 2009