• In the Spotlight:

Why is my baby always rocking?

My 4 1/2 month old is constantly rocking back and forth when she's on anyone's lap. Is this normal???

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:56 PM on Sep. 9, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Does she do this all the time, or only on someone's lap? Rocking is a soothing device that is often seen in children with autism, but it is much more likely she just likes the movement. Remember that she was rocking every time she moved in your belly, and I bet almost every time you hold her, you are moving. Babies get used to that motion! Try not to worry.
    jdanielle82

Answer by jdanielle82 at 1:00 PM on Sep. 9, 2009

• My daughter does this all the time, she is 2.5 years old. She does it to self-soothe when she is tired or upset. She is not autistic.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 1:08 PM on Sep. 9, 2009

• She's probably just used to the motion of being rocked and enjoys it. I really wouldn't worry about it.

Answer by missanc at 1:41 PM on Sep. 9, 2009

• I wasn't suggesting that she's autistic, you sounded worried and I thought this might be one of your concerns so I thought I would adress it specifically.
    jdanielle82

Answer by jdanielle82 at 2:10 PM on Sep. 9, 2009