Are you really a Christian?

I have read that 75% of Americans consider themselves Christian. I know a lot of people who, if you ask what they are, will say "Christian", but they don't go to church, don't read the Bible, don't tithe, aren't born again, aren't baptized... they generally don't do anything that I would think a normal Christian would. They're parents were Christian and they believe in a God so they much be Christians, too. Most religions believe in a God so I don't really think that belief in a supreme being makes one a Christian. And, I would guess that of those 75% of people saying they're Christian, I'll bet at least 25% of those fall into the category I just listed.

Thoughts?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:56 PM on Sep. 9, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• To claim the category of "Christian" one only needs to accept that Jesus Christ is their savior. One does not need a church or baptism or to know anything else from the Bible for that.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:59 PM on Sep. 9, 2009

• I think that each individual person knows whether or not they have a relationship with Christ, and only they can they can truly know if they are a Christian. I also think that if you're judging others on whether or not they're Christians, you aren't much of one yourself, considering the Bible is very clear in stating that you shouldn't judge others. Just going by what the Bible says, though. :)
    StefanieN84

Answer by StefanieN84 at 12:59 PM on Sep. 9, 2009

• Yes, I believe that to be a Christian, the first thing you have to believe the Bible and Jesus is the Christ. The rest is really depending on the person.
    ocsosomom

Answer by ocsosomom at 1:02 PM on Sep. 9, 2009

• It is not just saying you are, it is believing the bible, God in your life, to seek Him, and live what it says in the bible, as also by how you treat others/actions reflecting Jesus.
    3rdDay

Answer by 3rdDay at 1:04 PM on Sep. 9, 2009

• Everyone's interpretations differ. Therefore what YOU think a Christian ought to be is inconsequential to the "definition" of Christian as everyone's interpretation of what it means to be Christian will vary.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 1:05 PM on Sep. 9, 2009

• It's funny that belief in God isn't enough. This is why I don't call myself a Christian. So often I see "Christians" trying to put others down, even other Christians. Why is anyone else's relationship with God your business? I am posting anon simply because I don't want the "Christian" mafia to come after me! LOL
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:06 PM on Sep. 9, 2009

• Really none of that other stuff matters as long as you've accepted jesus as your personal lord and savior. They don't have to go to church, be baptized, or do any other thing to look more like a Christian.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:09 PM on Sep. 9, 2009

• How can you believe in something you really know nothing about, though?

~OP
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:13 PM on Sep. 9, 2009

• 'Really none of that other stuff matters as long as you've accepted jesus as your personal lord and savior. They don't have to go to church, be baptized, or do any other thing to look more like a Christian."

I did that back when I was a Christian. Now I am not longer a Christian. By your rationale, I'm still going to go to Heaven (if there is one) even though I no longer believe in the Bible.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:15 PM on Sep. 9, 2009

• All these people talking about the "right" way to be a Christian, does that mean that during the periods of your life where you are too busy to obsess over religion every day, or the weeks when you just have too much going on, you stop being a Christian?

For the record - I wouldn't think it's anyone else's place to decide how Christian someone has to be before they can count as a "real" Christian, but a bet a large chunk of that 75% claim it only to keep nagging relatives off their backs.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 1:16 PM on Sep. 9, 2009