31 weeks pregnant, swollen painful fingers

So I wake up several times a night with my hands being "dead" from cut-off circulation and they have been swollen and painful for the past week. I can still make a fist but it hurts to squeeze- bend or extend my fingers. When i move them up and down i feel the joints popping.

is this something i need to be seen for or is it just the hormones?

staciandababy

Asked by staciandababy at 12:57 PM on Sep. 9, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I agree to just watch your BP. What you're experiencing right now sounds relatively normal, but if it gets worse, I'd definitely mention it to your OB/midwife.

I had TERRIBLE swelling in my feet for a few weeks with this pregnancy (around 35 weeks) and finally realized that I was drinking a soda per day (I was CRAVING root beer! Lol) and the sodium was causing all that swelling. I've started SUPER-saturating myself with water and the swelling is SO much better. Although I haven't been able to get my rings on my fingers for about 2 months!
    fluud7

Answer by fluud7 at 1:15 PM on Sep. 9, 2009

• It's hormones. Welcome to my world :)

Water, water, water, and more water. It helps. Also be sure you are getting plenty of calcium/magnesium. I started a liquid calcium citrate and magnesium supplement a week ago and I've noticed improvement.

Also, i found that it made a big difference if I fell asleep with my fingers curled rather than straight. It seems to keep the blood and fluids flowing rather than pooling. Flexing the fingers throughout the day also helps even though they are sore.

My swelling goes down very quickly now and I can get my rings are. But the relaxin hormone and the pressure of the excess fluid still means that my finger joings ache.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 1:01 PM on Sep. 9, 2009

• Edema (swelling) is common. Be sure to have your blood pressure checked regularly as it can be a sign of preeclampsia.
    anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 1:01 PM on Sep. 9, 2009

• Oh, and be sure to get at least 90-100 grams of protein a day. It's important and does make a difference in your health.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 1:03 PM on Sep. 9, 2009

• I've been trying more water- and i drink a lot of milk during half the day, i'm on an iron supplement that i was told not to mix with anything calcium related for two hours before and after taking it. which i am horrible at but try to.

my blood pressure is checked at my doctors appointments, should i be checking it myself at home? i have a bp cuff and stethoscope- granted its more difficult to check your own bp than someone elses.
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 1:04 PM on Sep. 9, 2009

• with milk and peanut butter added to whatever else i eat during the day, i bet i get close to that amount of protein. i think. i haven't been counting anything.
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 1:05 PM on Sep. 9, 2009

• I've been having my hands swell with my second pregnancy, my first pregnancy it was my legs. It's normal stuff, but you should ask your doctor what make you do that just so you have the medical term for it.
    MommaRox4683

Answer by MommaRox4683 at 1:07 PM on Sep. 9, 2009

• Unless you have other symptoms like excessive swelling legs and face, have dizzy spells, blurry vision, unexplained pain in your upper right abdomen, and protein in the urine then it is likely normal edema. Especially if your BP has been fine.

I take my liquid calcium in the morning, and i take my Floadix (non constipating liquid iron supplement) in the evening. No conflict.

I also get 8-10 8-ounce glasses of water a day.

Count your protein grams for a couple of days to be sure you are getting enough. It can be hard. I use sparkpeople.com to monitor intake. but any food calculator that has protein grams shown will do.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 1:14 PM on Sep. 9, 2009