why is it bad to sleep on your right side when you are pregnant?

this confuses me.

Asked by preggobean at 4:50 PM on Jun. 23, 2008 in Pregnancy

• If you can get any sleep at all when you are preggo that is good sleep. The experts say that sleeping on the left side increases the blood flow to the baby. I always preferred my right side when I was pregnant and my kids did fine. Just get rest any way that ya can.

Answer by MommasCooCoo at 4:54 PM on Jun. 23, 2008

• It's not that it's 'bad', it just that the preferred position is on your left side to get maximum blood flow to the baby. Chances are, you're not going to spend too much time in one position anyway, so just lay however is most comfortable for you!

Answer by tulip421 at 5:15 PM on Jun. 23, 2008

• you have a major blood vessel that runs down your right side, when you lay or sleep on your right side for an extended period of time the concern is that you are going to inhibit blood flow to the baby and return blood flow to your heart. The truth is you don't really stay in one position very long at night, your brain will MAKE you body move at least a little bit here and there and you will turn from side to side. SO if you do happen to fall asleep on your right side don't stress your self out about it. But the left side is preferred for proper blood flow for you and baby.

Answer by misty1_sd at 5:54 PM on Jun. 23, 2008

• It's not bad. Lying on the left side can very slightly increase blood flow to the baby. This is only important if the baby is in distress and not getting enough oxygen. For regular day to day activity, it makes no difference.

Answer by depsiua at 6:27 PM on Jun. 24, 2008

• well now lets be careful. with my last starting at about week 34 i was always uncomfortable on my left side so i would lay on my right. durring labor they turned me on my left side and his heart rate droped. turned out he had the cord wrapped around his neck a whopping 3 times. the dr.s figured he must have pinched the cord when i was on my left side.

Answer by 3rdtymsthecharm at 5:04 PM on Jul. 31, 2008