what kind of small dogs are kid friendly????

so my sister says
most small dogs arnt kid friendly
but my SO is scared to death of big dogs
i wanted another pitbull cuz i have to leave mine
with my dad cuz he "adopted" her
so he said another pit is a no go
so we are getting a small dog
i want to my sure my DD and it will get along

19bubbles91

Asked by 19bubbles91 at 1:06 PM on Sep. 9, 2009 in Just for Fun

• My sister in law just got an adorable lil shitzu. it is so cute and she has three kids who all hold her and walk her around. Total we have 14 neices and nephews and they all swarm her and she does great with them. Of course like any puppy she gets alil frisky but my 8 month old loves to play with her. In fact every time she sees her she laughs. I think with no matter what dog/puppy you choose you have to just teach your daughter and the puppy the rules and make it work. Good Luck!!! We just got a puppy but he is a black lab and will be bigger than you may be looking for. But if you change your mind they are Great family dogs!!!!
    Newmom11309

Answer by Newmom11309 at 1:15 PM on Sep. 9, 2009

• Datsun (weenie dog) and schnouzer's
    MommaRox4683

Answer by MommaRox4683 at 1:08 PM on Sep. 9, 2009

• shelties are good kid dogs
    cassie_kellison

Answer by cassie_kellison at 1:09 PM on Sep. 9, 2009

• My mom has a yorkie (male, male yorkies tend to be much more calm and not so yippy) and he is amazing with my son and niece. He always knows when we pull in my parents drive way and is ALWAYS waiting and whining for us to come in at the door. He then is all over my son giving him kisses til we yell at him. Its very precious. He is a wonderful, kid friendly dog!
    amy31308

Answer by amy31308 at 1:11 PM on Sep. 9, 2009

• I have a Shih Tzu and so do my parents. Both dogs love kids...well, they love all people...and they are extremely friendly. They have the greatest personalities too...if you like your dog to act like a little kid themselves, lol. I swear, my dog acts way more like a human than a dog...and I love her to death!
    StefanieN84

Answer by StefanieN84 at 1:17 PM on Sep. 9, 2009

• I am with her, it has been my experience that small dogs are not as good around kids as large dogs. 3 of my 5 kids have been bitten by family and friends small dogs, Cocker Spaniels, Jack Russels, and some other kind of Terrier. We had a Sable German Sheppard for 8 yrs. My kids rode on this dog, pulled ears and tail, this dog licked them to death and came back for more. I think if you want the ultimate kid and family friendly dog you cannot go wrong with a Lab. Just make sure where it comes from, see the parents of the pup if you can, that will tell you how the puppy will be. Always try putting a puppy on it's back and see how it responds. If it fights you, pass, if it lays there submissive, you have a good dog to be. Good luck.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 1:36 PM on Sep. 9, 2009

• Any dog can be a good dog with kids, it just takes training of both the dog and the kids. We have a dachshund and tehy can be a bit snappy, so you have to teach them not to snap and kids not to shove thier faces at the dog, or try to grab the dogs food. By teaching both the dog and kid you have double protection against accidents. Also little dogs get away with a lot more than big dogs. A big dog that jumps up is scary, a little dog that jumps up is cute, train the little dog like you would a big dog and you have a lot less issues with them. Some shelters and a lot of rescue groups will take the time to help match you to a good dog, and while you dont get the cute puppieness, you also dont have to house train, and you have a better idea of the personality of the dog. I agree with the poster that said labs are the best family dogs, and a lot of black labs end up in shelters because tehy get too big.
    auroura

Answer by auroura at 1:49 PM on Sep. 9, 2009

• I have a yorkie who's life revolves around my kids..well all kids really..any kid will do to him
    mamakirs

Answer by mamakirs at 2:00 PM on Sep. 9, 2009

• If it fights you, pass, if it lays there submissive, you have a good dog to be.

Careful with that, many kids are bitten (well people) by timid submissive dogs.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:02 PM on Sep. 9, 2009

• BOSTON TERRIERS! easy to train great with kids, and will love you to death. Mine flies commerical with me, i take him everywhere. he weights in at 18 pounds and hes 4. trust me the best little dogs ever!
    Froggy_girl1790

Answer by Froggy_girl1790 at 2:10 PM on Sep. 9, 2009