i need help!

my fiance and i have been talking about me going to school for a while now. I have been looking online at some schools but they all seem to be way too much money. All of the schools i am looking at are online but i am worried about getting stuck in something that i cant afford and then ill be in a deeper whole than we are in now. The career that i am hoping for after school would be nice b/c it would be a good income and be great so i can still have flexability to be there for my DD. I am so nervous because i want to go to school not just for my family but for myself, but i also dont want the debt that comes with it. Does anyone think some of the cheaper schools who give the certificates would be a better route or try to find a way to go to a 2 year school that costs a whole lot more?

Newmom11309

Asked by Newmom11309 at 1:07 PM on Sep. 9, 2009 in

• I dont know what carreer path you are looking for but here is what I have learned from observation. Many certifications don't need a two year degree, you just need the cert. That being said, I have also seen that in some fields, the difference between a cert and a 2 year degree is a huge difference in income and ease of finding a job. Also most colleges now offer help finding a job after graduation, which certification schools don't always do. One example of the difference a Certified masseuse has a 9 or 12 month class program and can only do certain kinds of massage, a Licensed Massage Therapist has a great deal more they can do, but they have to have a 2 year degree from their school. The difference in earnings is $5-15 an hour. so while its more school, its also double the income.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:23 PM on Sep. 9, 2009

• Start with a community college. The cost will be low, many classes should be online, the hours will easily transfer to a university.

Stay away from for-profit schools; they exist, by law. to make money for the owners/shareholders. Education is not their priority.

Have a couple of infomational interviews with people working in your chosen field; this can help you determine if this is the right path for you.

Answer by rkoloms at 9:34 PM on Sep. 9, 2009