Do you plan on paying entirely for your childrens college education?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:08 PM on Sep. 9, 2009 in Money & Work

• We did. We saved from the time they were born. My dad was the first person in his family to go to college, and he struggled to make enough money. He said he didn't want his children to go through that. So he saved for us. And when my husband and I had children we decided to save for them. We saved all money gifts and also had money directly deposited from the pay checks.

Answer by Bmat at 1:12 PM on Sep. 9, 2009

• I hope that we have the money to send our children to college. We do save all of her money from gifts and it goes into her savings. There are still things the child can pay for though. If they choose to move away they can pay their own rent, food or even books. I dont think that it should be a free ride by any means, but I also dont want my child to be in debt because they chose to go to school. My family is very into debt free living and I am so thankful I was brought up that way:)
    ashleyuc07

Answer by ashleyuc07 at 1:16 PM on Sep. 9, 2009

• If we have the money to help, then yes but they will still have to help out as part of their responsibilty. Earn the right to attend, not given the right. I feel they will appreciate it more if they are responsible for part of the $$$ otherwise, they may just party their way thru it.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 1:22 PM on Sep. 9, 2009

• That is our plan..however we took a HUGE HUGE hit when the stock market took a poop
    mamakirs

Answer by mamakirs at 1:22 PM on Sep. 9, 2009

• Nope - not at this point, at least. We have 4 kids... there's no way we could save equally for them & they each have enough to cover the costs.

My father didn't go to college & had a very exciting career working with presidents & kings.

My husband dropped out of school & was working a descent job when he got injured. He then qualified for free college through the rehabilitation coalition. He didn't go longer than about 3 months --- college just wasn't for him. He's now working a job making a very good living.

I went to college on a Pell Grant... and now I'm a SAHM.

If my kids want to go to college, we'll do what we can to help, but we are not of the mindset that they HAVE to go.
    Laura1229

Answer by Laura1229 at 1:30 PM on Sep. 9, 2009

• I will try to pay some of it. But they really need to seek out scholarships and such. If for some reason they decide to marry while in college, then, "no," it's going to be their spouses and thier responsibility. I know that sunds kind of harsh.
    delrod

Answer by delrod at 1:31 PM on Sep. 9, 2009

• Yes, their college tuition/bills will be paid either by us. They will have to get a job for spending money, but their basic room, board and books will be paid for.

Answer by missanc at 1:37 PM on Sep. 9, 2009

• By the time she graduates high school, we will have enough saved for at least one year (this depends on where she goes to college, she has her sights set on Boston University). She is on track to graduate high school as a college sophmore. The class of 2009 received an average of $28,000 in scholarships. Theoretically, we should only need loans for one year.

Answer by rkoloms at 1:41 PM on Sep. 9, 2009

• We never earned enough to save that much, so no. We're putting away as we can. Both my husband and I worked our way through college. It actually benefitted us. So even though expenses are much higher now, there are more options for our sons. Like advanced placement courses, and credit for life experience.
    oddfox

Answer by oddfox at 2:05 PM on Sep. 9, 2009

• Yes... 100% I see no reason they can pay for things like their car insurance or gas, because if they live on campus the car is only for fun... But the schooling part is important, I see no reason why I shouldn't pay for it. I want to give them the best of everything, that includes education.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 2:43 PM on Sep. 9, 2009