Worried about 15 months olds legs

I am worried the my 15 month old legs are not developing correctly. How can I know that she is ok and there is nothing wrong. Are there signs or things I need to look for. If there is something wrong with them then what does that mean? What will need to happen? Thanks

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:09 PM on Sep. 9, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Really that is a question you would have to ask the Dr. Don't be afraid to question anything developmentally that you are concerned about. If it takes a second opinion, get one. Ask to be referred to a specialist, or a Children's Hospital.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 1:11 PM on Sep. 9, 2009

• Why are you worried? Are you noticing anything in particular?
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 1:12 PM on Sep. 9, 2009

• Is she walking yet? Do you see anything wrong with them? Or her feet? Some babies with leg problems or hip problems need to wear some kind of leg braces.
    mamaada

Answer by mamaada at 1:12 PM on Sep. 9, 2009

• She is walking although she started walking late. I have noticed her legs kinda bow out but last night we went for a walk and I really noticed her not walking well. She walks as if one leg is longer than the other and she seemed to get tired fast. I just wanted your opinions before going to a dr.
    QTMamma01

Answer by QTMamma01 at 1:16 PM on Sep. 9, 2009

• Bowing out is fairly common in toddlers and doesn't necessarily mean there's a problem. I'd check with your doctor. Our son has one leg longer than the other but unless the difference is greater than 2 cm (I may have the number wrong), they don't do anything. Even if there's a difference, there are ways to handle it.
    momofryan07

Answer by momofryan07 at 1:28 PM on Sep. 9, 2009

• My niece was VERY bowed until way after 2 -almost til 3 - it did work itself out - but you are the mommy, you sometimes need to hear it from the doctor anyway - it certainly can't hurt to get it checked out !
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 2:10 PM on Sep. 9, 2009

• My friend's daughter had this same issue. Her girl had to be in a cast to straighten out her legs because they were very bowed. She's a little late in walking, but everyone develops at a different pace. I would definitely have her see a specialist to make sure that everyone is okay in terms of her bone structure. It is possible it'll just correct itself, too. Just to err on the safe side and of course, for your peace of mind mom... take her to a specialist. ;-) Could be totally normal but what are we mothers here for if we don't worry?!
    kanoas_mommy

Answer by kanoas_mommy at 3:15 PM on Sep. 9, 2009