i have guilt!

So we exclusively breastfed the other two. Not a drop of formula. My final child is now getting to formula bottles a week, the nights I work. She gets expressed milk the first feeding, and formula If I,m not home in time for the second. I feel really bad for some reason. I just don't have time to get another feeding out. Any ideas?

lovinangels

Asked by lovinangels at 1:19 PM on Sep. 9, 2009 in General Parenting

• Don't worry about it. I breastfed for a while then went back to work and tried to pump but wasn't getting much and had to supplement formula too. I only breast fed for like 4 or 5 months. It was just getting to hard to do it at work. I was a nursing assistant and it's not like I could just drop what I was doing to go pump. And no, quitting my job wasn't an option since the sperm donor and I got divorced and he wasn't paying child support!
    Starfire73

Answer by Starfire73 at 2:45 PM on Sep. 9, 2009

• pump in between feedings when you are at home, when you don't need it, and freeze it. Build up a supply, this also comes in handy if you and hubby decide to go out for a date night and baby gets left with grandma you will have plenty of milk to get baby through the night.
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 1:23 PM on Sep. 9, 2009

• You can work to increase your supply: drink lots of water, pump after nursing, take brewers yeast tablets, have lots of skin-to-skin contact with your baby, nurse more often at home, look at picture of your baby while you pump.

Really, one bottle a day of formula will make really nasty diapers, but it won't harm your baby.

Answer by rkoloms at 1:36 PM on Sep. 9, 2009

• Can you pump for the other times? I know its a pain to pump sometimes but if you really want her to get more breast milk that might be the only way.
    MizAnn

Answer by MizAnn at 2:01 PM on Sep. 9, 2009