reporting child neglect?

ok, so i have been watching my sister in law neglect her child for 3 years now and i was finally so fed up i called child services today.i feel bad cause i did it,but a huge part of me is happy cause i am hoping that they take my nephew away from her and put him in a good home.my husband knows i did it and he thanked me for it and flat out told me that he couldnt and wouldnt of done that.he says that he loves his sister and our nephew way too much to do that.i told him i do not understand why he feels that way because it is not about the mother.we have told her numerous times to clean up her act and take care of her child and it just goes in one ear and out the other.so i told him its no longer about the mother everyone in the family has tried to set her straight, its all about the baby.so my question is what all i told child services will it help my nephew and how soon will they check up on him?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:22 PM on Sep. 9, 2009 in About CafeMom

• Child Services is required to follow up on all reports within 24 hours.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:32 PM on Sep. 9, 2009

• Its not all about what they are told, it is about what they see and what can be proven. So, it depends if what you told them will match with what they will see. The combination of that will help them make a decision on what is best for the child.
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 1:25 PM on Sep. 9, 2009

• I told them how malnurished (sp?) he looks, how filthy there house is, how he wears a 5 lb dirty diaper all day, how she is selling perscription drugs and that she lied to the cops about her fiance. they showed up at there house looking for him and she lied to them sayin they broke up and he has never lived there. neither one of them have been able to keep a job longer than a few days. did i do the right thing or did i just butt in way too soon??
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:27 PM on Sep. 9, 2009

• i also told them about how she said that if she becomes homeless again she is giving my nephew up for adoption, and when she was pregnant with him she already had a family in mind to give him to but changed her mind. and i told them about his teeth.. he is a month or so shy of 3 years and he already has brown rotten teeth..
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:29 PM on Sep. 9, 2009

• I think that if the child is truly malnourished then the doctor would have reported something (that is, of course, if she has taken him in for his routine checkups).

They WILL however see that the house is filthy and at very least tell her she needs to clean it/keep it clean and then do a surprise visit to make sure she really is keeping it clean.
    The lying to the cops is hearsay...there is no proof. And lying to the cops is not child neglect, it is ignorance on the mothers part.
    Again, selling her drugs is hearsay...there is no proof (unless she has previous charges).

I say you did the right thing, because at very least it might scare her into doing a little better by her child.
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 1:33 PM on Sep. 9, 2009

• Giving a child up for adoption is not neglect, it sounds like in her position it is the best thing she could do for him.

However, the teeth thing bothers me and hopefully they listened when you said that because that WOULD be proof of neglect.
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 1:36 PM on Sep. 9, 2009