the labor process

i'm just trying to figure this out since its my first time. i am 35 weeks so i'm figuring it all out. so if my water breaks at home or wherever, i head to the hospital right then right? if i'm one of those people whose water doesn't break til they are at the hospital, then i have to time the contractions and go when they are close together right?

samantha21385

Asked by samantha21385 at 1:24 PM on Sep. 9, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Thats right :)

My advice to you is if your water doesn't break, stay at home as long as you can stand it. If you go in at the first sign of contractions then they will send you home, and if you go in and they are only semi-bad they will keep you and you will be stuck there for a few hours until you are ready to deliver.

I timed my contractions and waited until they were 4mins apart (I had a 45min drive to the hospital) We got to the hospital and an hour later I was ready to push. Nice and quick.
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 1:28 PM on Sep. 9, 2009

• with my first they broke my water at the hospital .second my water broke at home
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 1:30 PM on Sep. 9, 2009

• Call your doctor before heading to the hospital. See what the doctor has to say.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:31 PM on Sep. 9, 2009

• The general rule of thumb is to go to the hospital when your water breaks or when contractions are at least 5 minutes apart and lasting 45-60 seconds. You want to head out sooner than that if you have a long drive to the hospital, and you can wait a bit longer if you're really close or if there don't seem to be any problems and you just don't want to spend hours upon hours at the hospital. It can also vary depending on what, if any, complications you may be having with this pregnancy. And individual doctors will have different guidelines that they go by, so ask yours to see what specifically he wants you to do.
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 1:39 PM on Sep. 9, 2009

• Even if your water breaks you don't have to rush to the hospital you can still relax and labor at home ( A woman can be in early labor like that for several days). Eat drink water and labor without bother. As long as you don't stick anything in your vagina or let people stick their hands in your vagina there risk of infection is virtually nil. If you do go in..you can be adamant and refuse a vaginal check. Once they check you they WILL put you on a clock because once they check they have introduced a potential for an infection because they have compromised the vagina with their germs.

By the way, a slow leak can often reseal itself -- and staying hydrated replenishes the fluid. Also, your forewaters might break but the baby's skull pevents the hindwaters from breaking so...really...there is no need for a mad dash.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 1:49 PM on Sep. 9, 2009

• Always call your doctor first to tell them what is happening. You don't want to make the trip to be sent home! Your contractions should be 3-5 minutes apart for at least an hour before you call the doctor! And if you water should break call your doctor immediately! This way they are aware of what is going on before you head to the hospital!
    Rebecca727

Answer by Rebecca727 at 1:50 PM on Sep. 9, 2009

• Most providers are still fine with you laboring at home after your water breaks until the contractions are close together. Talk to your provider about how soon they want you to go in. For most providers, it is something like contractions five minutes apart lasting one minute each for at least one hour.
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 1:56 PM on Sep. 9, 2009

• my doctor said if my water doesnt break (which only about 20% of women's water break on their own) time contractions when they become 2-5minutes apart thats the time to go to the hospital
    Kri5taa

Answer by Kri5taa at 2:51 PM on Sep. 9, 2009

• There is no one way to labor, so it's good to be in-tune with your body & intuition.
    Your water might break, no contractions (means your not in labor, no *need* to go anywhere), OR your water might never break~ baby born in the bag, intact.

You could have contractions build over days (or weeks), or have them start suddenly, an hour before nursing baby! :-o

Knowing that labor *usually* starts with contractions that build (intensity & frequency) over time is a good start. But your experience will be unique to you.

I usually encourage moms to stay home as long as they feel comfortable. A good rule of thumb is 4-1-1 (Contractions are 4 minutes apart, 1 minute long or so, for at least 1 hour).

Do you have anyone to help you with labor? You could consider a birth doula to help you know when it's "Time," too.

Best wishes!
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 3:19 PM on Sep. 9, 2009

• Kri5taa~
    that info is incorrect, most women will rupture at some point. (A few who don't might be honored to birth their baby en caul.)

"In pregnancies that reach term (37 weeks and over) 10% of women have spontaneous rupture of membranes before labour begins – that is, before contractions commence."
    "Being born with or in a caul is rare, probably occurring in fewer than 1 in 1000 births"
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 3:24 PM on Sep. 9, 2009