Acting out in School

Anyone ever had a child act out in preschool because they were basically missing home?

My son has acted out every day that he has been in preschool (A grand total of 3 days.. LOL) and yesterday got to the point I went and got him.

Well today he was perfect up until about 11 and he just became so hardheaded and was acting up so bad so his teacher called me back out there and soon as I got there he had a breakdown and started crying saying he missed me and wanted to go home. Soo.. Me & his other teacher got to talking and figured it's possible this is his way of getting me out there (you know how most kids will cry asking for their moms?) My son has never been one to cry even when he's sick or gets hurt so i'm thinkin it's a possibility?.

Maybe it sounds a little crazy but, is that possible? and has anyone else ever dealt with something like that from their child?

KalebsMommee

Asked by KalebsMommee at 1:27 PM on Sep. 9, 2009 in General Parenting

• Cont'd... I stayed with him through lunch today and when it was nap time after he ate I hugged him, had him lay down and I left. His teacher said he was asleep within a few minutes of me leaving sooo... I dunno.

If anyone has dealt with it.. what can I do to break the cycle? I hate that my child is the one giving the teacher a hard time but.. truth is he's never stayed away, never been in daycare or even a drop in playdate type thing so this is all new to him. He is NEVER this bad at home.
    KalebsMommee

Answer by KalebsMommee at 1:29 PM on Sep. 9, 2009

• He may be bored.

Answer by rkoloms at 1:33 PM on Sep. 9, 2009

• There is so much to do and the teachers are constantly entertaining and doing activities, learning, etc with him and the other kids so he's not getting bored...

I just think it's a big issue with him because he's never had to be in a setting where he's had to share his time with 17 other kids before. I am just so frustrated with it and want to find a solution.. Thankfully his teacher is amazing and is trying to so hard to work with him to get him comfortable.
    KalebsMommee

Answer by KalebsMommee at 1:36 PM on Sep. 9, 2009

• My son has been in daycare, 2 years of preschool and Kindergarten. This year is his 1st year in all day school and we're having adjustment issues. Here's a couple of things we've done that have helped. First, get the book "The Kissing Hand." It's a great book and something we do every day before school. Second, we aren't all that religious, but we say a prayer before school everyday that Derek will have a good day and remember how much I love him when he gets sad. Another thing that you need to do is talk to the school and have a plan. If he gets upset, have someone he can go talk to (like the director) until he calms down and can return to class. The teacher is not going to be able to deal with him, so she's going to call you. If you go get him, he'll learn that and cry to get you to go there. Don't do it! He needs to learn it's ok to take a break, but he has to go back to class.
    amy5272

Answer by amy5272 at 1:42 PM on Sep. 9, 2009

• he is just having trouble adjusting, suggest a sticker chart, when he has 10 good days, marked by stickers on the chart you will take him for ice cream or some other reward. to tell him you value school and he has to go and you want him to be good, never being away from you b4 is a big change and acting out is completely normal.
    AmaliaD

Answer by AmaliaD at 1:58 PM on Sep. 9, 2009