Why is my child obsessed with taking her diaper off?

It seriously drives me crazy, she took her pants and diaper off this morning and pooped in the crib. She is one. Please God someone tell me this is a stage...she does it at least once a day. The bodysuits work ok but it is way too hot here for footed PJ's all day long :) Anyone else have a child that did this?

Lauren24

Asked by Lauren24 at 1:40 PM on Sep. 9, 2009 in General Parenting

• Ahhh she's going to be an easy one to potty train! She is trying to tell you she hates that nasty old diaper! I can't say as I blame her. She'll be ready soon!!
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 1:44 PM on Sep. 9, 2009

• my son is going through this. he's 18 months and ive started potty training with him. he told me today when he went poopy, he will pee on the potty for me and i bought pull ups and he hasn't figured out how to take them off although today is the first day hes wearing them and he knows to pull them down. i would say try them.. i use pampers pull ups
    amy31308

Answer by amy31308 at 1:44 PM on Sep. 9, 2009

• Have her wear larger onsies when she sleep and all the rest of the time if you have to. I had my youngest one do that a few times. Drove me up the wall. Here in TX you can't have em sleep in much else in the summer, so he had to sleep in a onsie and he was fine... couldn't get it undone and no more mess.
    mom2BOYZnDad

Answer by mom2BOYZnDad at 1:45 PM on Sep. 9, 2009

• I agree that usually babies who develop a dislike for the diaper early on are easier to potty train once they are ready. Use onesies or other clothing that snaps under the crotch, or overalls.

Another option which sounds silly but works is to reinforce the tabs with duct tape. My best friend and I cracked up when we got home and her husband had duct taped the baby's diaper on, but it was about the only thing that worked to keep it on him.
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 1:46 PM on Sep. 9, 2009

• She JUST turned one though...isn't that kinda early for the potty thing? But even if she barely pees in it she rips it off... I guess it wouldn't hurt to try?
    Lauren24

Answer by Lauren24 at 1:48 PM on Sep. 9, 2009

• I will definitely try the tape... Thanks for the advice ladies
    Lauren24

Answer by Lauren24 at 1:49 PM on Sep. 9, 2009

• Just because she's taking her diaper off doesn't mean she will potty train any easier hate to break it to you... My son hated a dirty diaper early on and he was still hell to potty train and didn't fully train until he was almost 4. It's a phase that she will grow out of.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:50 PM on Sep. 9, 2009

• My youngest learned to take her diaper off at 8 months. She is cloth diapered, and we learned to either put her diaper on backwards or put a diaper with snaps on so that it'd be harder for her to take off. We also did the onsie thing. She's also probably rebelling because she's 'caged' in a crib/playpen, lol. You don't know HOW many times I had to scrub my DD's PlayYard down because she didn't want to be in there! EWWWW! You take her out to change her, right? Kids are smart, she just wants to get out and play!

When my DD2 turned 1, she moved up to a SuperYard (kind of like a baby gate/cage/safe place for her to play, but bigger than a regular playpen to where I can get in there with her.) She is now out of the SuperYard, 23 months old, and no longer takes her diaper off. I got TIRED of doing that laundry! It is a phase and it will pass! Good luck!
    ThaMCE

Answer by ThaMCE at 2:23 PM on Sep. 9, 2009

• Oh Oh pick me pick me...I know! The ladies above are right! Totally a sign she is getting ready for potty time! My DD did this early too, and I had to buy clothes that buttoned up the back so she couldn't do it. It was costing me a fortune in diapers. Good luck.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 2:24 PM on Sep. 9, 2009

• if the tape doesnt work, just turn the diaper backwards. one of my brothers was a big time streaker lol
    AmandaN1

Answer by AmandaN1 at 2:45 PM on Sep. 9, 2009