How much formula needs a 7 and half months old?

My little boy was not getting enough nutrition from breastmilk anymore. I was so shocked to find out he actually lost some weight. The doc told me to give him formula and up his food. So he is getting one serving of vegetables (4oz) and a serving of fruit (2oz) and about 30 oz of formula. The doc said that as he gets older we will up the food rather than the formula. He has been getting some breast milk twice a day now only once a day. Shouldn't I give him more formula now since he is only nursing once a day? My question is basically how many ounces of formula does a 7 to 8 month old need if he does not get any breastmilk anymore. THANKS!

FloridaB

Asked by FloridaB at 2:09 PM on Sep. 9, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• 6 oz, or ask the babies doctor for real, they will tell you about what you should be feeding the baby and how much, but for my daughter it was 6 oz.
    MommaRox4683

Answer by MommaRox4683 at 2:14 PM on Sep. 9, 2009

• Don't go by oz, Dr. only go by what they learned in a book, and I'm sorry every baby is diferent.
    My son is now 10 months old, I started him on solids at 4 months, he ate some solids and then he would want him bottle formula that is and he still does that, my point is don't go by the oz feed her untill she is full with formula that is, it's important for them, just feed her what you been feeding and top her of with formula and when she is full she just wont eat, dont' listen to Dr. about feeding you child. If I would of listen to my Dr. on how to feed my kids they would be under weight and starving. Good luck
    looovemybabies

Answer by looovemybabies at 2:30 PM on Sep. 9, 2009

• You really should've asked a breastfeeding group about this before you switched to formula.

How often were you nursing? Were you drinking enough fluids? Should've been 5-7 nursings and 64 oz of water..

You should've just supplemented with food and nursed him more often to up your supply or tried fenugreek, oatmeal, or drinking more water. You could probably go back to that now if you wanted to! Formula is really not necessary most of the time. Just give more solids and more nursing sessions.. unless you've decided you want to wean.

28-32 oz of formula is all the formula a 7-8 month old needs. Increase the amount of solids you give, not the amount of formula.

You can start finger foods soon if you want to. Try giving cheerios or baby puffs, pieces of soft fruits (like avacado) or an entire apple or pear peeled to hold and chew on -- just watch em carefully when they're self-feeding :)
    JamesAndMe

Answer by JamesAndMe at 3:06 PM on Sep. 9, 2009

• I may have confused you a tad. I mean supplemented with solids until you got your BM production up more by offering the breast every couple of hours (most hungry babies will take it ! ).. then naturally they'd have eaten less solids than before.

The info about the formula is from an article I read about introducing solids by a renowned pediatrician.. They recommend an 8 month old (if you do not delay solids) eat 28-32 oz of formula or 5-7 or more nursings and 3 little meals per day. 1st meal: 2 tbs of cereal/grain + 1 tbs of fruit 2nd meal: 2-3 tbs of cereal/grain, 1 tbs of fruit, 2 tbs of vegetables 3rd meal: 2-3 tbs of cereal/grain, 1 tbs of meat, 1 tbs of fruit and you can do finger foods in some of the meals as the grain/fruit/veg if you like. A 7 month old would eat slightly less and no meat and no finger foods unless they can obviously handle them.
    JamesAndMe

Answer by JamesAndMe at 3:18 PM on Sep. 9, 2009

• my son is 7 months old and he eats 8 oz then either 1 big jar of food or 2 little jars every 3 or 3 and a half hours and he is at what the doctor says is a perfect weight but all babied are different just do what our doctors says i'm pretty sure he has your babies best interest in mind
    Logans_mommy126

Answer by Logans_mommy126 at 3:55 PM on Sep. 9, 2009