Should I call my doctor?

I have been extremely constipated throughout my pregnancy. I am 26 weeks and am finally able to have a bowl movement but their is blood in it. Im not in any pain, I was wondering if this is normal since I was constipated for so long, or if I should call my docotor.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:27 PM on Sep. 9, 2009 in Pregnancy

• no u probably pushed to hard sorry TMI but if it continues call them
    MyPrincesses421

Answer by MyPrincesses421 at 2:30 PM on Sep. 9, 2009

• It's normal to be constipated while pregnant, with my first son I didn't go for 3 weeks and then trying to push it out I felt like I was giving birth, it sucks. I would go to the pharmacy and ask them what stool softener is safe for you while pregnant and they will point you in the right direction. I don't know about your Dr. but when I went to my Dr. she just told me to eat more fiber and when you are pregnant that don't always work, so I ended up taking fiber pills, I if I was you I would just go to like walmart or whatever and ask the pharmacist there what's safe for you, don't waite any longer cuz pregnancy is uncomfortable as it is and being constipated it just makes it that more miserable. Good Luck and God Bless

looovemybabies

Answer by looovemybabies at 2:38 PM on Sep. 9, 2009

• Are you taking a stool softner it could be from pushing hard and you can also get hemroids. If your not taking a stool softner start cause you will be glad you did after having the baby.
    Nikky0803PAG

Answer by Nikky0803PAG at 2:52 PM on Sep. 9, 2009

• Was it bright red? A lot?
    I am guessing that you could have an internal hemmerhoid, they can bleed (fresh, bright) especially if passing a larger BM.

If you continue to bleed, not just when going to the bathroom, call in.

If it were me, I would work HARD on drinking more water, eating better/more fiber, and maybe taking a supplement to help, too.
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 3:09 PM on Sep. 9, 2009

• Check your prenatals. If yu are taking them and they have iron that is typically the cause of severe constipation. Stool softeners won't fix the problem and you may inadvertantly be unable to go without them. Switch your prenatals to a non-iron formula (a lot of women do flintstones chewables). If you need iron, go for a nonconstipating separate supplement like liquid chlorophyl (which has natural stool softening properties) or Floradix (easily absorbed and non constipating).

Drink plenty of water and get enough fiber -- both soluable and insoluable. I wouldn't recommend fiber pills, they can exacerbate your problem if you are currently constipated.

When you are ready to void your bowels, put your feet up on a stool as it puts you into a more natural low squat postion.

This may also sound bizarre, but if you have trouble passing a big stool, a little olive oil on your anus makes it a little easier
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 3:13 PM on Sep. 9, 2009