my son doesnt drink very much milk or eat cheese and im really worried about his calcium intake

my son is 8 years old and he drinks very little milk, doesnt really eat cheese or yogurt and i am worried about his calcium intake - just wondering if anyone had any ideas please!! xx

bubble098

Asked by bubble098 at 2:27 PM on Sep. 9, 2009 in Food & Drink

• Try some PediaSure...supposed to taste good and help them get all the vitamins and minerals they need if they do not like dairy very much to begin with
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:30 PM on Sep. 9, 2009

• if you google calcium or foods with calcium it will show you other foods that will give him enough calcium where the lack of milk cheese or yogurt won't matter.
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 2:31 PM on Sep. 9, 2009

• also if the dairy doesnt work some kids will eat tums....not just for heartburn! it can also be a calcium supplement. kids can usually have like 2 a day.
    AmandaN1

Answer by AmandaN1 at 2:32 PM on Sep. 9, 2009

• that's right I agree with the pediasure answer!
    lowencope

Answer by lowencope at 2:33 PM on Sep. 9, 2009

• thank you all for such quick replies!!! so good to know other moms are there for me!!!

have just been doing a google search and found that cheestrings (not sure if you have them in us a'm in uk!) have 1/2 pint of milk in each one!! WOW so will try him on those as although he does not like cheese he does like these!!!

do you have cheestrings in US?? or any moms in UK tried them???

xx
    bubble098

Answer by bubble098 at 2:37 PM on Sep. 9, 2009

• Well, if you know for sure he can and will eat cheese or drink milk at least once a day, have him drink a glass of milk in the morning. Make that a rule. (start with 1/2 a glass if you have to and work up) And at dinner, have him eat 1 cheese stick with his meal or make some veggie(whatever he likes) with melted cheese over it. See how that goes over. And like the previous poster said, there is always pediasure, that can help too.
    mom2BOYZnDad

Answer by mom2BOYZnDad at 2:38 PM on Sep. 9, 2009

• Past the age of two, the only beverage that humans need is water.

Like many other nutrients, and despite the claims of the dairy industry, plant based calcium is superior to animal based. Here is some of what the doctors at the Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine say: http://www.pcrm.org/health/prevmed/building_bones.html

And here is a link to calcium-rich foods: www.soystache.com/calcium

Answer by rkoloms at 2:43 PM on Sep. 9, 2009

• thanks - what is pediasure??? xx
    bubble098

Answer by bubble098 at 2:52 PM on Sep. 9, 2009

• go-gurt frozen. My son does not eat yogurt out of the fridge but I freeze go-gurt and I can't keep them, he loves them frozen plus he thinks he is eating junk food.
    slluebcke

Answer by slluebcke at 3:01 PM on Sep. 9, 2009

• Just have him eat other calcium rich foods. Try smoothies made with yogurt and fruit. Even ice cream. Talk to his doctor and ask what foods are best. Do NOT force or make him drink or eat something he doesn't like. If my son drinks milk when he doesn't want it, he wil vomit. Same with me.

BTW- Pediasure is a supplement for kids that is full of vitamins and nutrients. It is like Ensure or on the same lines of a Carnation Instant Breakfast drink.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:28 PM on Sep. 9, 2009