army wife (kinda a vent)

so im getting married to an army guy
and alot of my friends think its for the money and benefits
and alot of moms on here are like its the best part
but i dont care about any of that stuff
i love him for him not what he does or how much he makes
it really annoys me when people say shit like it all for the money and benefits
does it annoy anyone else?????

19bubbles91

Asked by 19bubbles91 at 2:29 PM on Sep. 9, 2009 in Just for Fun

• lol my StepFIL tried to convince DH that I was marrying him for money. I had to laugh when he said that, my parents are very well off and if anyone was marrying anyone for money, it was DH after mine when they die. Of course your marrying him for love, you would have to be to put up with separations and moving that come with the military. Good luck to you both and don't let them get to you.
    auroura

Answer by auroura at 2:38 PM on Sep. 9, 2009

• LOL, I have to laugh about the money part. Seriously? I mean they make okay, even good, money, but it's not like they are rich or anything.

I always tell my husband that if I was going to marry for the money, I would have married an officer. We always laugh about it.

The benefits are great, and I can't complain about them, but do they really compensate for everything else we go through?

Personally I love being an army wife. My husband has been in for almost 9 years, and we've been married for 5. This life has a lot to offer. It really does.

But at the end of the day, we got married and we stay married because we love each other. And love is what gets us through the 12-15 month deployments and what gets us through the day to day stuff that the army throws at us.
    Cavalrybaby02

Answer by Cavalrybaby02 at 2:41 PM on Sep. 9, 2009

• I think that the people who say that it is for the money and benefits do not realize the challenges that lay ahead for you. My dad was in the Air Force for 20 years. He and mom moved away from their families when they were both 18 yrs old and had a 2 yr old so he could join. I was four years old before I ever met my Grandparents (we stationed overseas). The benfits are nice, but anyone who marries someone in the army for that reason has no idea what they are getting into. There are situations where I have encouraged people to get married (who were already engaged) to get the benfits. One of my friends was engaged to an Army man and pregnant, and he was getting shipped off to Iraq. We all told them to get married before he left so that if something happened the baby would be taken care of. But that was not the ONLY reason tehy got married. Just tell thos epeople to shove it, they have no idea.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:42 PM on Sep. 9, 2009

• i was married when my x husband joined the army, they make ok money but not enough for us wifes that have to deal with them being gone alot, and then when they get deployed and there lives could be lost. the reason i hate being an armys wife was all the nights alone, and then finding out while he was off he was cheating with another female soldier. GL on your marriage.
    okc-mom-2

Answer by okc-mom-2 at 2:47 PM on Sep. 9, 2009

• Even when marrying for love, it is important to consider the practical factors like money and benefits. Its not always an easy life and it comes with a price. Just keep loving each other and dont listen to other people
    Aqua_Jen

Answer by Aqua_Jen at 2:47 PM on Sep. 9, 2009

• if it's not that great then listen to an army wife when he says he wants a divorce. she'll take him for every dime she can get out of him and look for ways to get more. i've never seen an army wife that left on friendly terms with a settlement that didn't benefit her.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:49 PM on Sep. 9, 2009

• My husband's ex-wife didn't get a dime out of him. And they are still friends. But she left him for another man...

For anyone who is interested you can google 2009 base pay and pull up a chart... it goes by rank and time in service. On top of that, we get BAS which is 323.something a month and BAH which is our housing allowance based upon location, rank and if the soldier has dependents or not. It can vary WIDELY based on location. For the most part it covers housing.

My DH has been in for almost 9 years and at this location, he makes about 50k per year.

Personally, I think the reasons why they go after them for money is because 1. they know that if they are awarded it, they will get it, the military will force them to pay it. and 2. They feel that they deserve it because they've put up with them being deployed and in training and gone for so many days and nights...
    Cavalrybaby02

Answer by Cavalrybaby02 at 3:03 PM on Sep. 9, 2009

• A friend sent this to me, this is a new army commercial about families... it gives a taste of what's it's like: http://www.goarmy.com/families/
    Cavalrybaby02

Answer by Cavalrybaby02 at 6:42 AM on Sep. 10, 2009