ok, ladies, help a conservative girl out. . .

My husband wastes water. Like crazy. Makes me want to pull my hair out. Leaves the water running and leaves the room. Can you save my sanity and help me convince my husband to conserve water without going all apocalyptic global warming on me? I just hate to waste anything, and he says that I'm cheap. It's well water!

lovinangels

Asked by lovinangels at 2:37 PM on Sep. 9, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• Every time he does it, pour one of his beers down the sink until he gets the message and knocks it off.
    Koukla12905

Answer by Koukla12905 at 2:51 PM on Sep. 9, 2009

• It is a natural resource that is finite. We will one day run out of water. It may not be tomorrow or next year but someday this planet will be in trouble with it's water supply.
    coala

Answer by coala at 2:39 PM on Sep. 9, 2009

• It isn't about being cheap. It's about being gluttonous and wasteful.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:48 PM on Sep. 9, 2009

ROFL!! Pretty sure this would get the message in my house!!!

grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 3:04 PM on Sep. 9, 2009

• Where do you live and are you on a tiered system where the more you use the more expensive each drop?
    In drought ridden CA water is very expensive. I remember in 1 city where we lived, water officials use to post the biggest water users' names in the local paper. My husband's boss at the time was rountinely on the list-
    Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 3:09 PM on Sep. 9, 2009

• Is water usage worth really worth having contention in your relationship? I think there are more important things in life to focus on. Do you think maybe you're making a mountain out of a mole hill? Seriously, take a step back from the situation and really evaluate it. You may find you're being a bit silly. Focus more on the good things that made you want to marry him in the first place. Think how much you'd miss the things that bug you if he were gone. I have a friend who lost her husband. He used to leave little post it notes all around the house. It drove her nuts. When he died, she was telling me, through tears, "I miss those damn notes! I'd give anything to have him here to write just one more." You'd be amazed at how the things that seem like they'll drive us crazy seem so inconsequential when you put them into the right perspective.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:19 PM on Sep. 9, 2009

• Do you filter it or use a water softener? Remind him how much the filters and salt cost and how much it costs to replace that stuff when it wears out (the softener itself or the whole filter app)
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 3:32 PM on Sep. 9, 2009

• It runs up your electric bill running the pump if its well water.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 5:04 PM on Sep. 9, 2009

• "It is a natural resource that is finite. We will one day run out of water. It may not be tomorrow or next year but someday this planet will be in trouble with it's water supply."

It's not possible for the planet to run out of water. It sinks in the ground, it evaporates, it becomes a cloud, it rains, it gets absorbed by plants, but the amount of water on earth stays the same. What we can run out of is clean drinking water, but not water in general.

mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 5:30 PM on Sep. 9, 2009

• We are on a well too. If you have a septic system, too much water is bad for your septic; it keeps it from functioning to it's full efficiency. (See The Septic System Owner's Manual)  Pumping your tank costs $400+, replacing a faulty system can cost $10,000. 

Turning the water off, priceless.  

mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 6:05 PM on Sep. 9, 2009