Mental illness,what's the likely of her getting it?

Okay,so my great grandmother had schizophrenia,bi-polar and ocd. My grandmother and my mother also had it,and I was checked but they told me it was too early to diagnois schizophrenia(I got tested when I was 13) . And I have done research this is what i have found "There may be some biological predisposition to schizophrenia, but that doesn't necessarily mean the disorder is hereditary." but I feel like it might run in my family, b/c they are not for sure if its hereditary or not. Could there be a chance that my daughter would have it?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:48 PM on Sep. 9, 2009 in Relationships

• there is a chance any one can have it...your chances do rise a bit because there are multiple people in your lineage who have it. I would suggest talking to someone who has a doctorates is Psychology, not psychiatry, and they would steer you in the right direction. My professor in college gave a lecture on all of those but Its hard for me to hold onto statistics like that for so long.

I also do know schits. doesnt typically show up until later in adolesence...about 17-22 is average if I remember correctly.
    Dom123123

Answer by Dom123123 at 2:54 PM on Sep. 9, 2009

• Well I'm bi-polar and my grandmother for sure was scizophrenic... But my daughter as of right now is free from bi-polar. A child is made up of both parents so think of it that way..And dont worry about it until you see sure signs of scizophrenia...
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:55 PM on Sep. 9, 2009

• Of course there is a chance. There is a chance we all could have something. Usually if you don't get it by the time you are 23 you won't get it. Relax, enjoy your daughter, and don't worry about it. Lots of medical conditions are hereditary, nothing that medicine can't fix. :)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:58 PM on Sep. 9, 2009

• Since you have done research you know she has a higher chance than average of ending up with schizophrenia. It usually shows up in the late teens.

She has a very good chance of having problems with one or more; bipolar disorder, depression, alcholism, drug problems, and anxiety issues. Getting counseling now may help her avoid problems. She should know she should never drink or "experiment" with drugs. If she has an injury pain killers should be avoided

My youngest son has bipolar disorder and has done very well because we have been very prevention oriented in his care. He was diagnosed at 11 and is now 21 and made it through his teens with no problems. He has a high paying job and just bought a house.

One older brother has alcohol problems and the other has drug problems. I tried with them but they were from my first marriage and had more influence from their father and the outside world.
    GailllAZ

Answer by GailllAZ at 3:01 PM on Sep. 9, 2009