4-Day (40hr) Work Weeks - What do you think?

http://www.good.is/post/tgithursday/?gt1=48001

A year ago, Republican Governor Jon Hunstman announced the Working 4 Utah initiative, essentially putting 17,000 of the state’s 24,000 executive branch employees on a 10 hour a day, four day a week schedule. The goal for the cash-strapped state was energy savings. Now that a full year has passed (we checked in on the program back in April), a clearer picture of the benefits is coming into focus.

1: Energy savings and reduction in carbon emissions
2: Traffic reduction and commuter health
3: Budget boost
4: Happier, healthier workforce
5: Economic stimulus through savings

Do you think this would work for:
your state or local gov't's
the Federal gov't
your individual place of employment

Why or why not?

beachmamaof2

Asked by beachmamaof2 at 2:53 PM on Sep. 9, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• Hubby just switched to doing this, it's really hard on me, right now, but he loves it, and we are saving 40 bucks a month. Having him home an extra day is nice, too. The shift change meant me going from being alone with the kids just 5 hours to ten hours straight, so I don't have a good routine yet.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 2:59 PM on Sep. 9, 2009

• Well, I have worked the 36 hour/ 3 day work week and as an older worker it was very hard after about 10 hours (nursing so up and moving most of the time).

I know many of the younger and off hours workers love the contracted work schedule as it allows for more days off and greater flexibility.
    I agree with the notion of fewer cars traveling each day, less gas consumed etc..
    I do think for some jobs, you get a diminished return in terms of efficiency after X amount of hours.
    Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 2:59 PM on Sep. 9, 2009

• My college district does this during the summer. It doesn't work really well during the regular school year because classes are given five days a week. And for the station where I'm working it doesn't work because we still have to host on-air programming M-F and there aren't enough of us to cover the shifts properly on that schedule.

I HAVE worked that schedule at other places and liked it for the most part. It did create a few child care challenges since the child care center at school closed at 6PM.

Answer by gdiamante at 3:00 PM on Sep. 9, 2009

• So yeah, it does save energy and all that, although not for his company, they are open 24 7.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 3:01 PM on Sep. 9, 2009

• I think for my employer, it cut labor costs by eliminating an entire shift. Fewer families to offer HCB, retirement packages, vacation time etc...
    Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 3:05 PM on Sep. 9, 2009

• I'd rather work 10 hour days 4 days a week and have more days off to have time for family and get things done!
    MommaRox4683

Answer by MommaRox4683 at 3:12 PM on Sep. 9, 2009

• I totally support it.
    urkiddingright

Answer by urkiddingright at 3:19 PM on Sep. 9, 2009

• I think we should consider the same with the school week, extend the hours.
    urkiddingright

• I've done that as a government employee and it also has drawbacks. When I worked for the building department, it meant contractors all over the county had to reschedule their work around inspectors and permits. Some of them lost a lot of money if someone forgot or didn't tell a secretary in a construction trailer that they couldn't have a concrete pour on Friday or get a last inspection done before the Open House on Sunday. When I worked for the electric dept it meant they paid out more overtime if there was bad weather because the guys had their 40 in by Friday and under the union contract, then qualified for extra OT for 3 days instead of just 2.

There are certain areas where it's not a problem (for instance, in the legal dept it was never an issue) but for others, it could be a huge inconvenience. It's definitely not a catch-all.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 3:26 PM on Sep. 9, 2009

• I would LOVE it. An extra day off per week, no income lost? Perfect.

Now, my company closes two days per month for NO PAY to save expenses, so I'd appreciate this alternative. Plus, I'd have another entire day to see my babies.
    AMom29

Answer by AMom29 at 3:47 PM on Sep. 9, 2009