What can i feed a one year old?

My son just turned one acouple of days ago and when i took him to the pediatrics to get a checkup they told me he was underweight. Now that i am taking formula away and giving him milk what are some things i can give him. They told me yogurt, chicken, and eggs but thats about all they told me? And i do still give him baby food right? for how long?

giovannismom19

Asked by giovannismom19 at 2:53 PM on Sep. 9, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• you will learn along the way of what you can and cannot feed your baby. at about 12 months I started making him breakfast (scrambled eggs, grits, oatmeal....) and then at about 14 months he started to eat dinner with us and what ever we were having. At 16 months he was off the baby food for good. My son loves and will eat just about anything except tomato sauce of any kind. be it catsup or Ragu. The best thing I ever found for him is individual servings of veggies like carrots (his favorite), green beans and corn. They come in little plastic cups and you just have to microwave them for 30 seconds. I get ours at Wal-Mart. Apples are tricky if they don't have many teeth, I would stay away from those. Applesauce is good thogh.  good luck!

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:09 PM on Sep. 9, 2009

• You can feed him anything. I know it's hard to figure it out because you want to make sure that they're getting everything they need. If he's underweight i would feed him beans. They're really good for them and help them put on weight.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:56 PM on Sep. 9, 2009

• By 11 months my kids ate what I ate. Baby food was over. I would think if he was underweight the doctor would want you to keep the formula (since it is more nutrients and calories than milk) and do table food as well.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:59 PM on Sep. 9, 2009

• At a year they can usually eat just about anything that you would eat, only cut-up. Many little ones are off babyfood by a year, but if your child still likes it you can continue with it if you want. Jarred babyfoods have more water added so they may not be as high in calories. Go ahead and give him table foods too if you haven't yet. If he's underweight you want to give him foods that are nutrient rich, but high in good fats and calories such as:

- Avocados - Oatmeal - Whole milk yogurt and full fat cheeses - bananas, sweet potatoes, olives - eggs - pasta w/ a little butter - Ask the Dr. but nut butters (like peanut butter) and fish are also good if there is no family history of allergies.

Limit whole milk to under 24oz. per day, and you can offer 4-6oz. of juice per day as well if you'd like. You can also continue formula if you'd like and/or if your child doesn't eat a variety of healthy foods

sarahmae3

Answer by sarahmae3 at 3:04 PM on Sep. 9, 2009

• When my son turned 1yo (he's 14 mos now), it got pretty exciting and challenging! Here's some ideas... avocados (just spoonfeed him), mandarin oranges (be careful, my babe got a BAD diaper rash after p'ping!), blueberries (quartered), bananas, plain whole-milk yogurt w/ blended up berries to make it flavorful, rotisserie chicken (the ones already made), soft cheeses, brown rice, peas, oatmeal, pancakes (chopped in small pieces, small pieces of turkey, pasta (sliced up into non-chokeable sizes), sliced up peaches, small pieces of strawberries... you can feed them a lot! Beware of apples, lol - my son choked twice and he turned all shades of colors. Scared me so bad, I'm not giving him apples til he's got all his teeth, lol. Good luck! This is a fun time!
    kanoas_mommy

Answer by kanoas_mommy at 3:06 PM on Sep. 9, 2009

• I forgot to mention - there's this smoked salmon that my son LOVES and it's filled with protein and omega 3's. It's in the canned section, by the tuna - just made and totally easy. I combine that with brown rice and it's so good... I always eat his leftovers. ;-)
    kanoas_mommy

Answer by kanoas_mommy at 3:08 PM on Sep. 9, 2009

• If he is underweight, try to give hime some whole fat ice cream like Hagen Daz. will help.
    ocsosomom

Answer by ocsosomom at 3:09 PM on Sep. 9, 2009

• You can add dry milk to a lot of food, for added calories.
    My dd is on 3 pediasures a day on top of her meals because she's so underweight.
    Try to get her weight up before they resort to these drastic measures.
    Add butter to stuff, also. My dd's nutritionist said that all the high calorie, high cholesterol foods that we as healthy adults try to avoid in large amounts, you shouldn't worry about right now. But that's up to you and your child's nutritionist, not just what mine said.

Good luck.
    dayziesnrozes

Answer by dayziesnrozes at 6:50 PM on Sep. 9, 2009

• My son is 13mos he is completely off formula doesnt eat any baby food and eats everything we eat.
    DessaG20

Answer by DessaG20 at 11:20 PM on Sep. 9, 2009