What could this rash be??!

A few weeks ago, my 14MO son had a few bumps on his shoulder that resembled a heat rash. I treated it, keeping him cool and dry. It then clustered together to form a dry patch, which I considered could be mild eczema. At this point, he had small bumps on his forehead, cheeks, and all over his arms and legs. The dr said it could be eczema and prescribed a cream. The rash spread to his stomach and back. It didn't look like eczema so I held off on using the cream and took him to my friend's Grandpa, who has been a dr for 20 years. He says it's Rubella aka, German Measles and said it's definitely NOT eczema. Took him BACK to the dr, who did blood work and throat swab - everything was normal. They think it's viral. He does have a cough, no huge fever. But could a rash linger this long? He doesn't really scratch so I don't know what I'm dealing with here... any ideas? First time mom here!

kanoas_mommy

Asked by kanoas_mommy at 3:00 PM on Sep. 9, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My little girls gets a rash everytime she teeths!?
    babyg34

Answer by babyg34 at 3:02 PM on Sep. 9, 2009

• I have eczema and its annoying, I get little round red patches with bumps but they really REALLY itch, to the point in my sleep I scratch till I bleed, so if he isn't digging at them, i doubt that its eczema. Did you try the cream? if the dr doesn't know what it is, get him to refer you to a dermatologist to have them look at it
    auroura

Answer by auroura at 3:16 PM on Sep. 9, 2009

• ok i had a rash that sounds similar to this. it was on me for a month! I was 15 and went to a dr and saw 3 dermatologists......turns out i had an allergic reaction! So just to make sure.....i had small little itchy bumps. started on my stomach then eventually my whole body. i am somewhat allergic to dog dander. i had a dog sleeping in my bed. got the dog out and viola! no more rash. hopefully its nothing serious with your lil one, but see if anything may have changed to cause a reaction. GL!
    AmandaN1

Answer by AmandaN1 at 3:18 PM on Sep. 9, 2009

• I'm 5 hours away from home since my husband's deployed - staying with family has definitely made time go by faster! So because of that, my only option is the urgent care. =P I'll be going to San Diego (back home) in a few weeks and if this rash lingers, I'll definitely request an allergy test and perhaps a referral to a derm. Allergies are going to be hard to detect, seeing that he's gone 14 months without a reaction. I've exposed him to so many things, milk, cats... eggs... so the culprit is gonna be a hard one to find!
    kanoas_mommy

Answer by kanoas_mommy at 4:21 PM on Sep. 9, 2009