How often should a mother expect a son away at college to communicate?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:07 PM on Sep. 9, 2009 in Adult Children (18+)

• I guess it depends on how close you were before
    my fiance, when he 1st went to college, would drive 1.5 hours to see his family pnce a week.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:14 PM on Sep. 9, 2009

• I think a phone call once a week is more common. It may become every two weeks as he gets older.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 3:15 PM on Sep. 9, 2009

• It also depends on what type of communication you're talking. Sending a text message or picking up the phone or driving home. I emailed my daughter when she went to school several times a week while she called about once every couple of weeks. I also sent care packages to let her know she's loved.
    baconbits

Answer by baconbits at 3:43 PM on Sep. 9, 2009

• I EXPECTED MINE TO CALL ME ON A DAILY BASIS, MAINLY JUST TO HEAR HIS VOICE AND REASSURE ME HE WAS OK, HE COMPLIED! HE DID THIS FOR 4 YEARS STRAIGHT AND JUST RECENTLY GRADUATED CUM LAUDE NO LESS!

Answer by older at 4:32 PM on Sep. 9, 2009

• Well I thought we were close but now I am beginning to wonder! At has been a little over two weeks and there have been no phone calls. I realize I could call him but I would like him to be the initiator! I have Instant Messaged him a couple of times but kept it brief. We have a daughter whom is in her third year away at school and I usually hear from her 2-3 times a day! What a difference! If he doesn't call me by Friday I probably will call him. For now I just look at the phone bill online and can see that he is using his phone so therefore he must still be alive!
    Louise789

Answer by Louise789 at 4:51 PM on Sep. 9, 2009

• Only when he needs some thing :) I went home every other weekend to do laundry and see friends, but didn't call my mom. She would call me, though. It's new and exciting to be away at college and it's time consuming. Don't take it personally if he doesn't call. He's just settling. It's good.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:25 PM on Sep. 10, 2009

• I am 24 and still talk to my mom several times a day haha! But my brothers def did not do this! My mom practically had to beg for them to call. They normally would talk about once a week, but def didnt come home very often. Guys are different though than girls. Also if this is his first year he is experiencing a whole different side of independence and is getting settled in. Also remember no news is good news! Try texting him, then you may get a quick reply and you wont be interrupting his good times! Best of luck!
    ashleyuc07

Answer by ashleyuc07 at 9:21 PM on Sep. 10, 2009

• I think sons and daughters are different. I would say he should probably call once a week. I would definitely initiate because he might not. I know you want him to, but frankly, guys sometimes don't take the initiation to do a lot of things...lol. You might even just send him an email and say, "I know your'e busy, but just shoot me a couple lines here and there beacuse I worry about you."
    SherriPie

Answer by SherriPie at 9:31 PM on Sep. 10, 2009

• My son sent texts and called several times a week....it really depends on the kid. It also depends on how active he is. Is he in a frat? Does he play a sport? We could not afford for my son to stay away at school (I am a single mom on disability) so he has come back to attand a local school. He still texts me some during the day if something exciting happens.
    tomatoqueen

Answer by tomatoqueen at 7:41 AM on Sep. 12, 2009

• Thank you everyone! I feel better now after reading all your answers! My son and I did have a nice conversation yesterday by Text messaging.
    Louise789

Answer by Louise789 at 11:00 AM on Sep. 12, 2009