You DON'T understand why the President addressed students?

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/09/09/business/economy/09leonhardt.html?_r=1

Do you know the stats for college drop outs and its long term consequence on the US?

sweet-a-kins

Asked by sweet-a-kins at 3:14 PM on Sep. 9, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• If his speech has an effect on only one student, it was well worth it. It is exactly how I feel about my role as a teacher. If I succeed in reaching one child in the thousands I have met and worked with, my efforts are all worthwhile.
    PsWifey

Answer by PsWifey at 3:34 PM on Sep. 9, 2009

• I think what he said was great, it shows he really cares, most parents don't even tell their kids positive things like that.
    MommaRox4683

Answer by MommaRox4683 at 3:14 PM on Sep. 9, 2009

• Do you really think your average terminally drunk/stoned college kid who can't keep up his C average for more than a week is going to stay in school because Obama told him to when he was 7?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:18 PM on Sep. 9, 2009

Do you think NONE will ne affected?

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 3:19 PM on Sep. 9, 2009

• Do you think NONE will ne affected?

Not enough to warrant the lost class time. Most schools were already back in session and had regular classes planned, not the first day of school where nothing happens.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:20 PM on Sep. 9, 2009

• I DON'T understand why you have to use the title "you DON'T understand why President addressed to students?" Come on...we know English why we DON'T understand? We probably understand more than we should. His speech is easy to understand for most of kids and as for parents like us, we see further than what he said.
    ocsosomom

Answer by ocsosomom at 3:23 PM on Sep. 9, 2009

• I have to add...as middle-class parents like us, we HAVE TO see and think further than what he'd said to our kids.
    ocsosomom

Answer by ocsosomom at 3:27 PM on Sep. 9, 2009

• I have no problem with his speech at all. Just a little skeptical at his motivation. I don't think he cares if my kids graduate from high school. I think it was a publicity thing going into tonight's speech.
    sopranomommy

Answer by sopranomommy at 3:39 PM on Sep. 9, 2009

• No, what I DON'T understand is why every 2nd post on here is in defense of it! GOOD GRIEF!!! It's over,and done with. Let's just all move on,and talk about something that is REALLY important, like, snails in the garden! There are those who didn't care about it,and there are those who worship him,and would jump off Mt. Everest if he gave a speech,and told them to. No one is going to come to an agreement. Copy and paste till your computer wears out. NO ONE CARES ANYMORE!!!!!!!!!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:44 PM on Sep. 9, 2009

• Do you know that alot of students drop out of college because they can't afford to attend anymore? His speech was a simple speech that any parent could have told their child. So why would you say I didn't understand his speech. I understood it word for word and nothing he said was anything different than what I would tell my own child.
    usmc0351wife

Answer by usmc0351wife at 4:11 PM on Sep. 9, 2009