Because it warms my heart, how about yours?

COLUMBIA, S.C. – Sixty South Carolina House Republicans are asking Gov. Mark Sanford to resign.

A letter asking the GOP governor to leave office was delivered to Sanford shortly after noon Wednesday.

It follows one sent a day earlier by House Speaker Bobby Harrell asking for Sanford's resignation.

Any move to impeach the governor would begin in the House, which has 72 Republicans, 51 Democrats and one empty seat.

Calls for Sanford to resign or be impeached have grown since June, when he returned from a secret trip to Argentina and revealed a yearlong affair with a woman there. The State Ethics Commission is investigating his travel.

Sanford has said he has no plans to quit. He has been seeking traction for his legislative agenda in his final 16 months in office.

This goes a long way to restoring my faith in republicans

sweet-a-kins

Asked by sweet-a-kins at 3:16 PM on Sep. 9, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• See, this is the stuff that gets us in trouble with each other (not you and me personally, the parties). We didn't want Clinton's sex-capades looked into or even a valid reason to impeach (yes tell me it is really that he lied and I will still ignore you, it was about sex) so I don't support threatening to impeach a Governor over his sex-capades either. :)
    urkiddingright

Answer by urkiddingright at 3:22 PM on Sep. 9, 2009

• It's a lot about the general out cry there is about it. If the people hadn't been pissy, it would have been swept aside. Politicians still suck.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 3:25 PM on Sep. 9, 2009

• so long as it continues to be what is good for the goose is good for the gander
    mamakirs

Answer by mamakirs at 3:26 PM on Sep. 9, 2009

• If he hadn't used state money for his sex-capades, than there would be less fervor. It isn't so much the impropriety of infidelity, it is the misappropriation of funds to finance the infidelity.
    PsWifey

Answer by PsWifey at 3:37 PM on Sep. 9, 2009

• It is between him, the woman and his wife. No one else.
    CelticFaerie

Answer by CelticFaerie at 3:39 PM on Sep. 9, 2009

• It is about time, I was wondering what was taking them soooo long. He needs to go! His abuse to not only our money; but to his family is despicable and should not be put on a pedestal for being a creep! I am sure he will be resigning soon enough, I don't think he would want to go through impeachment.

and to urkidding, it is not just about the sexcapades it is about his abuse to the system, to our dollars. It because he fell off the face of the Earth for 2 weeks and NO ONE knew where he was! His own STAFF had NO CLUE where he went! What if a huge disaster happened there? Help and services would have been delayed because the Gov. went missing!
    Crissy1213

Answer by Crissy1213 at 3:43 PM on Sep. 9, 2009

• I really don't care about the infidelity, it doesn't relate to how he does his job. It's the fact that he left the country without notifying anyone and I believe spent public money on this affair. If he were doing this on his own time with his own money then it would be entirely between him and his wife but it's not. I don't know if it's an impeachable offense, it seems to me that people have been yelling for impeachment over the smallest things since Clinton, but it's not really my concern anyway since he's not my governor.
    RhondaVeggie

Answer by RhondaVeggie at 3:49 PM on Sep. 9, 2009

• The difference between Sanford and most other politicians is simply that HE GOT CAUGHT. LOL. I bet 99% of the people in poltics do cheat and commit all sorts of offenses because they think they can. And they think they are so smart they can get away with it. Hah.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:00 PM on Sep. 9, 2009

• Clinton could of had sex with a hundred women while in office and I wouldn't have cared knew he was a pig when I voted for him. I knew he was a smart pig. He sexually harassed a woman than lied about an affair that was relevant to her sexual harassment suit. His sexual history is very important in a case like that. By Sweet A Kins logic Clinton should have stepped down. He was a proven liar that did commit perjury and should have went to jail. He didn't and Mark Sanford certainly should not lose his job because of an affair. Until someone can prove he has done anything illegal he should stand his ground. He is a pig that cheats but most in Congress cheat.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:02 PM on Sep. 9, 2009

EXACTLY- it's not about the sex act and betrayl, folks-
    Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 4:37 PM on Sep. 9, 2009