Why would a doctor ask you this? {aids}

My friend went in to the dr. The dr. looked at her throat, asked is your throat sore, have you ever been tested for AIDS?
Apparantely this friend has a build up of white on the tongue and around her mouth and always has had as far back as she can remember.
Friend is freaking out!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:22 PM on Sep. 9, 2009 in Health

• I don't know much about AIDS. White stuff on tongue and mouth makes me think thrush. Odd.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:24 PM on Sep. 9, 2009

• idk but doctors know sign of lots of stuff,he wouldnt ask unless he seen something that had to do with it
    BUSYLOVINGHIM

Answer by BUSYLOVINGHIM at 3:25 PM on Sep. 9, 2009

• Thrush is a symptom of AIDS. The body can't fight off the yeast and so it overgrows in the mouth. I wouldn't automatically conclude AIDS, but your friend should definately be tested.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 3:27 PM on Sep. 9, 2009

• probably bc she's had it so long. aids hurts your immune system therefore, the ability to fight infection. tell your friend to calm down, sorry the dr came out with that so blunt. if she's upset about it, have her get tested to be safe.
    AmandaN1

Answer by AmandaN1 at 3:27 PM on Sep. 9, 2009

• Thrush and chronic yeast infections are one of many symptoms of later stage HIV infection.
    KennsWifey

Answer by KennsWifey at 3:27 PM on Sep. 9, 2009

• Thrush is VERY common in people living with AIDS, it is a recurring problem for them. The immune system is so depleted that secondary infections thrive because the body can no longer fight them off.
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 3:28 PM on Sep. 9, 2009

• thrush is a yeast infection, also is an AIDS related illness, but diabetics also have a yeast related illnesses and even if you are on a long dose of antibiotics you can have yeast infections. But with AIDS back on the rise people should be tested!!! When I had insurance I got tested, it is not big deal it is better to know then not!!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:56 PM on Sep. 9, 2009

• A doctor would ask this question specifically for this problem, as thrush is an infection frequently acquired by AIDS patients. You have to remember that in the doctor's mind, he is trying to cover all of the circumstances that might bring him to the reason for the symptoms. Many times the symptoms are symptoms, but are not the root cause of the problem. I'm certain that he did not mean to offend and perhaps could have been more delicate in the question, but knowing (and working with) many doctors myself, I think that perhaps he was just trying to thoroughly do his job and not just treat the symptoms that are obvious, but ensure there was not an underlying problem that needed attention as well.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:42 PM on Sep. 9, 2009