What makes you a true member of a religion?

In a previous post someone used the word True to discribe another person's beliefs as aposed to their self proclaimed title and it blew up. Her useage of the word was in the meaning of one that actually holds the beliefs and practices being "true" while those that simply claim the title and do not honestly believe or practice are not true... So what makes one a "True" member of a religion? Is it enough to simply google a religion and decide that's what you are? Or do you need to hold the actual beliefs you claim to have?

Asked by SabrinaMBowen at 3:35 PM on Sep. 9, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• rolling on floortrue member, hahahahahahahahaahahhaahahah

writeon

Answer by writeon at 3:43 PM on Sep. 9, 2009

• So what makes one a "True" member of a religion?_____ Eating hot dogs with other members.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:43 PM on Sep. 9, 2009

• Is this a "true" question? Or just another way of being sarcastic?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:54 PM on Sep. 9, 2009

• No, I'm not being sarcastic... I want to know what makes someone a true member of any religion by your definition? I mean, to me, if you call yourself a Christian, it doesn't make you a Christian... Or Pagan or buddhist or whatever... It's actual beliefs that count and actions... Not the fact that you can use google... It's like all the teens that run around claiming to be Wiccan... How many of them just watched the Craft? LOTS! Does that make them Wiccan? No, it makes them teens...

So what counts? Beliefs or self given titles?

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 4:11 PM on Sep. 9, 2009

• So what counts? Beliefs or self given titles?

Sounds like you answered your own question here in this statement:
    It's like all the teens that run around claiming to be Wiccan... How many of them just watched the Craft? LOTS! Does that make them Wiccan? No, it makes them teens...
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:17 PM on Sep. 9, 2009

• No... as I just said in my question... It's beliefs AND actions that constitute someone as a member of a religion. I read my bible a good bit, mainly for research, and as a young person attended church 3 times a week, I had a personal bible study and did personal and daily readings... I was NEVER Christian. I never believed any of it. If you are going through the motions without the beliefs it doesn't count... If you claim to have the beliefs but refuse to go through the motions do you really believe as much as you say you do? Religion isn't all about actions or words... It's an internal thing that has to be felt and then acted on... One without the other really doesn't work well.

You just answered your own question yet again! Sounds like you really don't need a second opinion.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:20 PM on Sep. 9, 2009

• LOL
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:32 PM on Sep. 9, 2009

• The Bible doesn't tell you to be a member (true or not) of any religion. It tells you to believe in Jesus as God's son and our Savior as the way to Heaven. Religion is a man made thing. As for beliefs other than Christian, someone else will have to speak up for them.

Answer by admckenzie at 4:45 PM on Sep. 9, 2009

• There are two ways to "be a member":
    Belong in the manner of being in a club. You fit in with the other members, you subscribe to any rules the club has, etc.

Or you can be a member of an invisible mind-set. Your thinking puts you in tune with other members - a simplistic example would be if you were among the few people who understood how the world was round back in the days of Galileo. You would be able to discuss things differently with fellow "round-earthers".

Religion is not "true" if it's just a club with rules to obey. (And Christianity, more than any other religion, is FOUNDED upon free will.) Peer-pressure and conforming are completely out of place in religion. ... That means that judging a person is also out-of-place.

Using our religious ideals to inform our judgments is important, but that is for the purpose of SELF-discipline, not for condemning others.
    waldorfmom

Answer by waldorfmom at 5:43 PM on Sep. 9, 2009

• I don't think other people can judge whether a person is a "true ______" (fill in religion). If one self-identifies as a Pagan, as far as I am concerned they are a Pagan. I can believe that their understanding of the beliefs are incorrect, shallow or just plain lacking, but I can't say they aren't a Pagan. Especially since Neopaganism has no authority to set standards of belief. At minimum, I think that one should have a simple understand of the beliefs & embrace them as their own. Like the question yesterday of "is this a Christian?" one doesn't have to share any of the beliefs of other Christians to claim the title, only an acceptance of the Christ. Incidentally, I agree that it is a mistake to think that "true," "real," or "good" Pagans don't do any magic that harms. Many do. It is against the Wiccan Rede, so I think it is legit to say that Wiccans shouldn't, but not all Pagans.
    nysa00

Answer by nysa00 at 12:59 PM on Sep. 10, 2009